Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Comet Registration in Astro Pixel Processor 1.083-beta1 - video tutorial  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin
July 31, 2020 13:16  

Hi all,

This tutorial demonstrates the new comet registration functionality introduced in Astro Pixel Processor 1.083-beta1.

The next beta/stable release will also include special comet integration modes and probably also a special startrail outlier rejection filter.

Cheers,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@rigo)
Hydrogen Atom Customer
July 31, 2020 20:38  

Hello, where can i download the beta version with comet application ?

Alex Bell liked
ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
August 1, 2020 11:47  

See the right side of the forum, under “Downloads”.

ReplyQuote
(@nc-stargazer)
Hydrogen Atom Customer
August 2, 2020 03:41  

My first attempt with the new comet routine in version 1.083 Beta.
I followed the tutorial and it worked exactly as presented. THANKS!!!!!
126 x 30 second images at 1600iso. Canon 60Da & Canon lens at 75mm focal length
Camera mounted on an iOptron IEQ30. Images captured using BACKYARD EOS.

Shot at Doughton Park Picnic area along the Blue Ridge Parkway in Laurel Springs, North Carolina. About 4,000 feet elevation

2020F3 NEOWISE Sttipped

(@rigo)
Hydrogen Atom Customer
August 2, 2020 10:07  

@vincent-mod thanks, done

ReplyQuote
(@stojang)
Brown Dwarf Customer
August 5, 2020 13:16  

Video is good, but program not do it right... I tried on four of my comets, some went through well, others worse because of the fuzzy core of the comet, I had to confirm the comet’s position several times during registration.

However, I had the most problems with the comet, which I recorded with the tracking method on the comet itself. The program completely failed. I ask the author not to do registration only on a comet (no stars) or otherwise that it is possible to register only on one star-comet.

ReplyQuote
(@stojang)
Brown Dwarf Customer
August 5, 2020 13:48  

I can send you a 16 light+22 darks - recorded with the tracking method on the comet itself.... the star are not dots but small lines for testing.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
August 5, 2020 22:16  

That might mean your data has an issue as it seems to work on a lot of data now. Can you share a screenshot of 1 light frame?

ReplyQuote
(@stojang)
Brown Dwarf Customer
August 5, 2020 22:30  

You don't understand ... tracking a comet just creates that kind of image ! I stak in program ''Fitswork'' only on comet - one star.

IMG 0160
StG7

APP does not work on such images... yet ?!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
August 6, 2020 10:55  

At the moment it needs to be able to register on stars yes, plus this is a beta version where we only need to know if comet stacking works on most data sets. Having star trails won't work (yet).

ReplyQuote
(@wikidude1)
Brown Dwarf Customer
October 26, 2020 01:10  

Seen the tutorial on this process. Pretty Nice. Way to go. Look forward to using it in the future. 

Kip

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
October 28, 2020 12:04  

A new version is close and will have some nice added functionality. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@mseningmail-com)
Brown Dwarf Customer
November 30, 2020 21:10  

What processing method/steps would you recommend when bright stars intersect comet's coma or tail?

Ideally it would be nice to separate star field and nebulosity/dust clouds from pixels representing the coma and tail of the comet so they can be stacked separately and recombined later, and having the comet pixels on black background. That will keep pinpoint stars and nebulosity sharp and comet will be sharp too.

I mean removing star trails is nice when you don't have anything else in the background, but often there are dust clouds and galaxies etc in the background and as the result of stacking images registered on comet they all get smeared.

ReplyQuote
(@mseningmail-com)
Brown Dwarf Customer
November 30, 2020 21:14  

To improve rejection of stars with my slow-moving comet I tried stacking 3 sets of every 3d frame in sequence, but the result seems to be the opposite - brighter star trails... I'm using kappa 8.0-1.1

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
November 30, 2020 21:33  

Yes, that should be possible in the next version actually as far as I understood.

ReplyQuote
(@mseningmail-com)
Brown Dwarf Customer
January 14, 2021 09:03  

@vincent-mod When is that coming out? beta1 was in July...

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Black Hole Admin
January 14, 2021 09:38  

Unfortunately it is still not clear when the next version will be made available. Sorry for the delay. 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
January 15, 2021 12:54  

@mseningmail-com Yes, this one is taking more time. This is also due to Mabula moving to his own office etc. He is very far with it though and I really think it's pretty imminent now. We asked him for an update on it.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-archer)
White Dwarf Customer
January 16, 2021 23:58  

Every day I click open the forum looking for the new release like a kid jumping out of bed on Xmas morning, but no, maybe tomorrow 😀 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
January 17, 2021 14:16  

Yeah we know, we can't push it more than we already do. We asked Mabula about the status and hope to hear back from him very soon, this usually means he's working like crazy on it though. 😉

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: