Share:
Notifications
Clear all

19 June 2021: Our upload server https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/ has been migrated successfully to our new office with higher upload and download speeds (nearly 10MByte/sec up/down ) ! We now have 1 general upload user called: upload with password: upload. The users upload1 - upload5 have been disabled.

31 May 2021: APP 1.083-beta2 has been released ! APP 1.083 stable will follow soon afterwards. It includes a completely new Star Reducer Tool, New File Saver Module, Improved Comet registration and much more, check the release notes here!

DOWNLOADS are available HERE!

user's manual  

Page 5 / 5
  RSS

(@ejp2012)
Molecular Cloud Customer
July 14, 2021 21:12  

Mabula,

I love Astro Pixel Processor!

The topic of a User Manual has been beaten to death, but I still want to add my 2 cents worth (American expression).

For the people who are brand new to astro photo processing I think the best solution is for them to buy one of the books on the subject, so they gain an understanding of what are flats, darks, bias, subframes, etc. An APP user manual is probably not going to help with this, and why reinvent the wheel?

What would be most useful is an explanation of the parameters (what is Kappa?). As Charles Bracken has stated in his "Astro Pixel Processor Quick Start Guide," in most cases the default settings work very well. However, it would be nice to know what the settings do. Yes, some of the tooltips give you the answer, but not always.

Look, for example, at Integration. There is a lot of information in the tooltip on choosing the integration method and outlier rejection. But what is kappa and how does one choose the values?

I do appreciate all the built in automation and the great results!

Ed

ReplyQuote
(@cwm2col)
Red Giant Customer
July 15, 2021 20:40  

I tend to agree, and a users manual that gives those explanations with worked comparison examples, would also be enticing for future users and those transition away from other options.

I have managed to go by tool tips and trying various options. But I did learn too late the benefits of nearly hidden but excellent tools such as align channels in tab 2 (very powerful, but missed by most), droplet size and scale for drizzling, integration moelda for downscaling without issues (mitchell-netravali), and other choices that are less common in the very nice video tutorials.

On the other hand, I have asked some queries that were answered in the videos, but it is not easy to find like in a document.

A lot of the attraction of PI for example, is the sheer volume of user tutorials available, so while I would add to a call for a formal user manual (a technical document), perhaps some of us in the community could add more to tips and tricks and tutorials like PI users and broaden the appeal especially to intermediate and advanced users too.

Best wishes, Col

ReplyQuote
(@tgiann3)
White Dwarf Customer
July 15, 2021 21:48  
Posted by: @ejp2012

Mabula,

I love Astro Pixel Processor!

The topic of a User Manual has been beaten to death, but I still want to add my 2 cents worth (American expression).

For the people who are brand new to astro photo processing I think the best solution is for them to buy one of the books on the subject, so they gain an understanding of what are flats, darks, bias, subframes, etc. An APP user manual is probably not going to help with this, and why reinvent the wheel?

What would be most useful is an explanation of the parameters (what is Kappa?). As Charles Bracken has stated in his "Astro Pixel Processor Quick Start Guide," in most cases the default settings work very well. However, it would be nice to know what the settings do. Yes, some of the tooltips give you the answer, but not always.

Look, for example, at Integration. There is a lot of information in the tooltip on choosing the integration method and outlier rejection. But what is kappa and how does one choose the values?

I do appreciate all the built in automation and the great results!

Ed

I have been following this thread and found this post particularly interesting. I was not aware there is a book for sale. I am aware, and own a copy of the manual for PI, solely in the hopes that it might help with APP. I did not find it particularly useful as I do not yet own PI software. I have also read Digital SLR Photography by Michael Covington. I found that book generally well written and informative but I did not see a section which deals with modern Astro Image Processing. I do agree that part of the issue is learning what things like Kappa mean. But I feel that is best explained either in a book or user manual directly related to the software being used. 

if anyone has book suggestions, I would be very happy to hear your recommendations.

ReplyQuote
(@dalepenkala)
Main Sequence Star Customer
July 15, 2021 22:38  

Mabula I have to also confess that I love APP as well! So much so that I bought it 1/2 way thru my 30 day trial!

It has taken my imaging to the next level. At least in my eyes anyway.

Yes I would love to see a manual but I also understand the amount of work it will take. I see several have volunteered to help so cudo’s to them!

I wasn’t aware of a QuickStart guide (Charles Bracken has stated in his "Astro Pixel Processor Quick Start Guide," ) I will be looking to find this guide!

Thanks again for all your work to help someone like me enjoy this hobby better!

Dale

ReplyQuote
(@tgiann3)
White Dwarf Customer
July 15, 2021 23:41  
Posted by: @dalepenkala

Mabula I have to also confess that I love APP as well! So much so that I bought it 1/2 way thru my 30 day trial!

It has taken my imaging to the next level. At least in my eyes anyway.

Yes I would love to see a manual but I also understand the amount of work it will take. I see several have volunteered to help so cudo’s to them!

I wasn’t aware of a QuickStart guide (Charles Bracken has stated in his "Astro Pixel Processor Quick Start Guide," ) I will be looking to find this guide!

Thanks again for all your work to help someone like me enjoy this hobby better!

Dale

I found that guide to be helpful in what it covers. but as it got to the details one will really need to know, I think it digressed into “to be continued.” Something is certainly better than nothing, but in what I have found in both literature and online videos there are large gaps which are difficult for a beginner or advanced beginner to fill. 

ReplyQuote
(@ejp2012)
Molecular Cloud Customer
July 16, 2021 16:16  

@tgiann3

Dale, there are some excellent books on astrophotography.

The most comprehensive and detailed one is "Astrophotography" by Thierry Legault.

There is also "The Astrophotography Manual" by Chris Woodhouse, and "Astrophotography on the go" by Joseph Ashley.

All of these books were published before 2017, so NONE of them mentions APP. But they will give you a foundation on processing - but be aware that a large part of each of these books deal with taking the photos (location, equipment, techniques, etc.); they are not exclusively focused on processing.

There is also "Astrophotography is Easy" by Gregory Redfern, published in 2020, but it is too elementary. It does not mention darks, flats and bias frames.

Finally, I think that "kappa" is nomenclature used by Mabula in APP, but not a general astrophoto processing term.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
July 18, 2021 12:47  

Kappa is used in PI as well I believe. It's a very standard cut-off or range term in statistics.

ReplyQuote
(@scpanish)
Brown Dwarf Customer
July 19, 2021 16:12  

Yes, I suspect most of the parameters and algorithms are pretty standard image processing techniques and there is a well-developed (academic) literature for that.   Including astronomical image processing.  Those books cost a small fortune.  I've never seen an overview of those techniques in the amateur-oriented astrophotography books but if one has such a summary I'll buy it!  It requires an existing background in statistics.  This is a case where Mabula doubtless knows this stuff cold, but it would be difficult and expensive to look up all the algorithms.  Not so long to write a summary if I (or most any developer) had the information.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
July 20, 2021 11:23  

Yes, true, so Mabula and likely others will work on a manual that very likely will have this information as well.

ReplyQuote
(@ejp2012)
Molecular Cloud Customer
July 20, 2021 21:32  

@vincent-mod

Kappa might very well be a statistics cut off range term, but we should not need to know this.

Also, for example, in Cosmetic Correction APP uses the term "Hot Kappa" for rejection of hot pixels, while PixInsight uses the term "Hot Sigma." Alas, there is no tool tip for this item in APP, so hard to know if it is the same as in PixInsight, as you implied.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share: