Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Remove Light Pollution/Background Calibration Questions

7 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
(@edwallace)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Reposting this from the general forum:

I have 2 questions.

(1)Regarding "remove light pollution/background calibration," when processing an integration which has some nebulosity everywhere in the image, is there a best strategy for making the selection boxes? 

(2)When producing a narrowband image (Ha, OIII, SII), I like to use 2 or 3 different formulas for combining the stacks. Let's say I use the HSO fomula. Then I do the "remove light pollution/calibrate background", etc. When I'm done, I then might combine the stacks using the SHO formula, for a different look. Is it possible to use the same light pollution correction model that I created for the first image? As it is, I have to go through the process of "remove light pollution/calibrate background" all over again. This seems unnecessary. There may be an obvious way to do this, but I haven't found it.

Any guidance would be appreciated

George Hart reacted
ReplyQuote
(@snapthot)
White Dwarf

I’ve had problems with light pollution removal in nebula images as well so I’m also very interested in recommendations how to do it. 

ReplyQuote
(@dcaponeii)
White Dwarf

I also have a lot of challenges when the field is mostly nebulosity.  Of late I've just hitting the corners with the minimum number of boxes.  If you follow the tutorials and increase to the 30% brightness setting in the drop menu of the preview window controls you can sometimes find a spot that has a hole in the nebulosity.  Just be ready to remove the box if it makes the image go wonky.

ReplyQuote
(@dcaponeii)
White Dwarf

@edwallace Are you the Ed Wallace of Dallas radio fame??

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @edwallace,

Sorry to have kept you waiting.

The use of the same selection boxes for different images is on our todo list 😉 The best approach is to start with 5-6 area selectboxes and calculate, and then iteratively add 1-2 boxes each time between new calculations to fully correct the whole image in the end. We show this in our mosaic tutorial. It is not advised to immediately place 20-50 boxes and then clicking calculate.

This it the mosaic tutorial that demonstrates this: https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/part-4-light-pollution-correction-and-background-calibration-of-the-mosaic-tutorial-milky-way-to-rho-ophiuchi-by-mabula/

Let me know if this helps 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@edwallace)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@dcaponeii No.

ReplyQuote
(@edwallace)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin Thank you.