Pattern after Stack...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Pattern after Stack with AAD

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Dirk
(@dobsonschubser)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

this is a crop of my first stack with default settings in AP.
There are some Pattern with red, blue and white Pixels inside

St avg 2640.0s NR x 1.0 LZ3 ref eq add sc BWMV nor AA RL noMBB cbg csc St 1

I try AHD and the pattern is there too, only less. Kamera is 600da, Filter IDAS LPS-P2

regards 

Dirk

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Dirk,

These are definitely bad (hot) pixels. By far, the best way to remove these in calibration is by using a bad pixel map:

creating-a-bad-pixel-map

You'll need a couple of flats (let's say 10) and some darks (use 20-50 ) of exposures of a couple of minutes. (longer exposure lengths for the darks will make a higher quality Bad Pixel Map.)

The Bad Pixel Map is much more efficient in removing bad pixels than using a Master Dark from a set of darks since

• hot pixels don't behave linearly, so a Master Dark will (very likely) never correct all bad pixels perfectly.
  • the bad pixel map won't introduce noise since it corrects the bad pixels by interpolation from the surrounding "good" pixels.

I have placed an example of a Bad Pixel Map correction in the creating-a-bad-pixel-map post:

"An example of Bad Pixel correction using a Bad Pixel Map:

a Canon CR2 light frame of 600s exposure length, ISO200, Canon 450D (courtesy of Scott Rosen) corrected with a Bad Pixel Map created out of 100 darks of 600 seconds exposure length.

A crop of the sensor is shown, showing plenty of bad pixels which we want to remove.

Top: uncalibrated    Bottom: calibrated

Left: bilinear debayering and no Linear Background Neutralization

Middle: bilinear debayering and Linear Background Neutralization

Right: Adaptive Airy Disc debayering and and Linear Background Neutralization (notice the dramatic increase in sharpness and better star shapes and change of colors 😉 due to AAD debayer)."

Let me know if you can get rid of these bad pixels 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
 Dirk
(@dobsonschubser)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

thanks. I try too make darks for a Bad Pixel Map. In this case i used dithering, without darks.

Greets Dirk

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Dirk,

Dithering combined with an outlier rejection filter (kappa clipping) while integrating should help in removing the bad pixels, but if you can get rid of these in the calibration fase without introducing noise than that's always better.

If you create a good and effective Bad Pixel Map, you'll enjoy this for a long while 😉

Regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: