Using Light Polluti...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Using Light Pollution Filter

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ggalbch)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Hi there and happy new year to all.

I am shooting from a Bortle8 site with a DSLR and use an Astronomik CLS filter.
When loading subs into APP, should I choose the channel LPS for lights and flats? I assume LPS stands for Light Pollution Suppression.

Thank you for your advise and suggestions.
Best regards, Georg

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I'm not sure what you mean with LPS. We have an LP tool which is the Light Pollution correction tool, but that is used at the end. You should be able to just load in the subs without changing anything, doesn't that look correct?

ReplyQuote
(@ggalbch)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for getting back to me.
I am happy to point out where in the APP software LPS can be found. Please see images attached.
It's the last select option in the filter choice where all other Ha, OIII, SII etc. are. 
Would you be able to please explain the functionality of this tab? 

Screenshot 2022 01 04 104222

One more thing: I run Beta4 - I tried to stack images I had previously stacked and APP did not create any MB, MD, MF nor BPM file.
After first run, I double checked settings and ran it a second time. Again no master files. Both end results looked differently as well...???
In the < 4) REGISTER > the fist box is "disable registration" - This is confusing! When exactly is it disabled? When clicked or unclicked???
This might be the problem for not creating the masters, but as pointed out, description is confusing.

Below you see left the first result and second result on the right.
As I didn't find any settings looking out of the ordinary, I ran second time exactly the same as first.

First result
Second result

The original stacked image I ran 2 weeks ago on the regular APP license software before I upgraded to Beta.
It might not be the best data but that is another story.

Original stack

I am curious the hear either where I potentially am messing it up or what the problem could be otherwise.

Thank you

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

Posted by: @ggalbch

4) REGISTER > the fist box is "disable registration" - This is confusing! When exactly is it disabled? When clicked or unclicked???

As with all options in APP, the functionality is disabled when the checkbox is not ticked. In this case, the functionality is to disable registration. So if you leave it unticked registration will be enabled, and when ticked registration will be disabled.

ReplyQuote
(@ggalbch)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@wvreeven

Sorry to point this out but your own description of how this box is used is a contradiction. Enabled = On / Disabled = OFF

Screenshot 2022 01 04 132101

In the first line you say that function is disabled when left unticked. In the second line you say function is enabled when unticked. It can not be both.

Hypothetically, once you know what the ticking of this position does, is this the option responsible to create or not create the darks, biases and flat masters?
When I ran the two sessions I had this "unticked". 

Maybe, a proper manual that describes all functions would help all APP users. Just a thought.
Thank you 

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

Posted by: @ggalbch

In the first line you say that function is disabled when left unticked. In the second line you say function is enabled when unticked. It can not be both.

What I wrote is that the FUNCTION is disabled when unticked and the FUNCTION is to disable the registration. That's a double negation. Read my description again. It makes sense. So, once again: not ticking the checkbox will enable registration.

ReplyQuote
(@ggalbch)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Thanks

Unticked = Enabled > registration happens
Ticked = Disabled > no registration

So, as I already ran both stackings last night with unticked registration, what could be the reason for APP not to create the master files?
I ran another test this afternoon with same data: I loaded lights, darks, biases and flats and went through all steps 1) to 6) and clicked on "integrate"
The process started right away with 3) analyse stars - then proceeded to 4) 5) 6) and created an image without masters. See below. 

I went after back in and had to manually click in 2) "create masters & assign to lights" to get MD,MB, MF + BPM files created. It did.

But how do I now get the final image crated??? And why does it not create them directly from the beginning and produce a final image with them subtracted??? 
In the standard APP version (not Beta) I didn't have this happening.

What am I missing?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@davidackerman)
Brown Dwarf

@ggalbc:  Did you ever get an answer about using the LPS option that you refer to above in your 4 Jan 2022 question?  And is there an analogous narrow band, e.g., Triad Quad filter, option like UHC?  Is there a best-practice way to combine images taken with a simple light pollution filter with those taken using a narrow band filter?

ReplyQuote
(@ggalbch)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@davidackerman Hi David, As I can recall, no answer was received with regards to the LSP option question. I moved on from using DSLR with light pollution filter to a OSC and a mono camera. For the OSC camera with dual narrowband filter, I select in the 0) Raw/Fits the algorithm based on what I want to achieve. If I use a light pollution filter these days I leave it on Adaptive Airy Disc and in the popup window I don't bother to select anything as long I don't mix sessions. Cheers.

ReplyQuote
Share: