Unexplained Consist...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Unexplained Consistent Registration Failure on Single M42 Mosaic Panel

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@oneredpanther)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Have a frustrating problem in 1.083.4 on Windows as follows: 

I have a three-panel mosaic of the Orion region; stretching from M42 to the Horsehead, comprising of 5 sessions over 5 consecutive nights.

All the subs are identical across all panels: 300s of Hydrogen-alpha at gain139.

There is no difference in configuration, other than that for each panel the telescope is pointing to a slightly different region of the sky.

Everything calibrates as expected, and all subs on all three panels are of high quality. 

Yet when I come to do Registration, APP fails to register the stars ONLY on the panel that happens to contain M42 (Orion Nebula). 

Not just on one session, but for every independent session on every different night, APP fails to register the stars on that particular M42 panel. 

After Analysis, APP even reports that the number of stars in the failed panel are about the same as the working ones (400-500) So it's not that it can't find them!

There is no reason I can fathom why that would be the case. 

To have the problem persist on every consecutive attempt to image that arbitrary bit of sky, when everything around it works just fine, is mystifying. 

There is no visible difference on this panel, and every sub has plenty of sharp, bright, and well-defined stars; just like all the other panels. 

Any commentary or insight on this, before I get into the trouble of uploading 200+ FITS files?  

This topic was modified 1 year ago 4 times by Barrington Russell

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Did you try with the latest beta version as well? If so and it still fails, I indeed do need the data to look at. I can start maybe with the panels which would not be that much data.

ReplyQuote
Share: