Strange pattern in ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

BLACK FRIDAY & CYBER MONDAY SALE!

DISCOUNT OF 15% ON ANY LICENSE!

Sale will end on Tuesday, 30 November 2021, 1200 UTC.

Strange pattern in Light Pollution Tool  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

(@luckybudd)
Main Sequence Star Customer
April 6, 2021 00:53  

Hi all, I am getting a very strange pattern whenever I use the light pollution tool.  I think I am missing something in my processing?  It happens if I enable or disable MBB.

This is a capture using no filter so the pattern seems to be in processing, unless something is off in my flats?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

M51 night 1 RGB session 1 mod St

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
April 6, 2021 09:50  

That is quite the strange pattern indeed. I'm wondering if this is an issue in the data itself. Can you try to integrate without any calibration data and then see what happens?

ReplyQuote
(@luckybudd)
April 6, 2021 16:19  

Sure thing Vincent, I will do so now and post a photo in a few hours...

ReplyQuote
(@luckybudd)
April 6, 2021 17:59  
Just lights banding
Just lights  w filter
Screen Shot 2021 04 06 at 8.55.23 AM

Well this isn't good!  When I stack just my lights, you can clearly see this pattern embedded in the image... then it is really brought out in the light pollution tool and you can see the way it is processing the data.

Very strange... this is 250 30 second subs with an asi294MC pro at -10, through an 8" celestron edge HD and .7 focal reducer.  No filters, no other thing I can imagine that would cause this.  Doesn't look like a faulty cable.  How strange.  Any ideas?

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar Admin
April 6, 2021 18:29  

@luckybudd Are you shooting 8 bit or 16 bit images? Can you check in the data? If you load a light in APP and double click it in the file list, it will be opened in the image preview window and the FITS header gets displayed. There it should inform you about this.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
April 6, 2021 19:18  

Ha, good one! I was also thinking about maybe a data issue with power-noise on a dataline, but this indeed looks more like 8-bit or something.

ReplyQuote
(@luckybudd)
April 6, 2021 20:42  

Hey! 

Ya. When looking at my lights, under “color space” it says “16b RGB”. The only change I see is that under “Bad Pixel Map” it says “8b Gray”

This post was modified 8 months ago by Lucky Budd

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar Admin
April 6, 2021 20:43  

@luckybudd Do you get the same strange noise pattern when you redo the integration but without using the BPM? Just to see if that makes a difference?

Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@luckybudd)
April 6, 2021 20:44  

I can try that. Didn’t know I could leave that out! I still have the file open so I can try! 

ReplyQuote
(@luckybudd)
April 6, 2021 21:04  
Screen Shot 2021 04 06 at 12.02.24 PM

Well, I don't know if this is related, but when I integrate without a Bad Pixel Map, the RGB integration file comes out as a 32 bit image.  I assume that is normal.  Otherwise, everything in JUST A STACK OF LIGHTS is 16b.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar Admin
April 6, 2021 22:14  

@luckybudd But do you still see the strange noise patterns in the stack without BPM?

ReplyQuote
(@luckybudd)
April 6, 2021 22:20  

@wvreeven I do.  I even tried cropping RIIIIIGHT into the galaxy and trying the tool from there and same result.  So, there is either an issue with the lights themselves (a camera issue?) or it is picking up something REAALLY wonky in the processing...  correct?

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar Admin
April 6, 2021 22:36  

@luckybudd Right. Would you mind uploading your data set to https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com using upload2 for both username and password? Please create a directory called luckybudd_wonky and put the files in there. Then we can have a look and see if we can find out what's going on.

ReplyQuote
(@luckybudd)
April 6, 2021 23:26  

I have put in a call to ZWO to discuss with them if it is something on their end, so any info would be GREATLY appreciated 🙂  I just tried the link you sent and apparently it isn't working currently.  Is there another?

Screen Shot 2021 04 06 at 2.28.25 PM

ReplyQuote
(@luckybudd)
April 7, 2021 00:43  

Sorry, I changed the url to https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com and it works.  Uploading now.  Thank you VERY much!!  

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar Admin
April 7, 2021 01:05  

@luckybudd Sorry for the typo in the site name 🙁

ReplyQuote
(@luckybudd)
April 7, 2021 01:19  

@wvreeven It is all good!  I really appreciate your help!  I am able to work with what I am stacking in lightroom to get a passable image, but obv there is something very wrong here!

ReplyQuote
(@luckybudd)
April 7, 2021 01:23  

Oh!  Do you want me to upload all data?  Or just lights?  I can also do a master dark/flat/dark flat to save time if you like

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar Admin
April 7, 2021 01:39  

@luckybudd Yes, files of all the types you have please!

ReplyQuote
(@luckybudd)
April 7, 2021 02:09  

On their way!!  Thank you!!!!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: