Combining a H-alpha...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Combining a H-alpha lights (h alpha filter) and lights (no filter) from H-alpha moded DSLR

8 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
(@rjchuri)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I have a H alpha moded Canon 6D.

I have read several forum topics concerning combining the H alpha (using H alpha filter) lights with the lights using no filter (thus includes all 3 color channels).

I  still do not know the proper workflow for combining the 2 types of lights.

ie. Raw/Fits settings? When are the lights combined etc?

I have successfully used APP for processing the 6D unfiltered lights but have yet to attempt combining with H-alpha.

Thanks

Bob Churi

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@rjchuri Hi Bob,

After processing the RGB data you can separately process the Ha data. Once done, you can load the RGB and Ha integration results as lights in tab 1 (don't load any calibration data) and proecess them up to tab 5 Normalization. Then click the save normalized frames button at the bottom of tab 5. The two resulting files you can then load into the Combine RGB tool in the tools tab and assign Ha to H-alpha. You can select the HaRGB 1 or HaRGB 2 formula to combine the frames.

HTH, Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@rjchuri)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply. Couple questions:

-By process RGB data do you mean integrate it to produce a fits file?

-When processing Ha data what setting in Tab 0 for algorithm? Do you check Multi channel in Tab 1 when Ha processed?

-So the RGB fits and Ha fits are only taken through Normalize, then combined with the Combine RGB tool

-What filter do I choose in the Combine RGB tool for the RGB fits file?

Bob

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

Posted by: @rjchuri

-By process RGB data do you mean integrate it to produce a fits file?

Yes.

-When processing Ha data what setting in Tab 0 for algorithm? Do you check Multi channel in Tab 1 when Ha processed?

Just use the default settings for both RGB and Ha. One channel will do since there only is one channel. Multi-channel is for when you process different filters at the same time. You can also load all RGB data (incl calibration data) into session 1 and all Ha data into session 2. But processing them separately is easier.

-So the RGB fits and Ha fits are only taken through Normalize, then combined with the Combine RGB tool

No. both get integrated so up to tab 6. Once done you need to align and normalize them. You do that the way I described.

-What filter do I choose in the Combine RGB tool for the RGB fits file?

No filter since you didn't use a filter. If it is a broadband filter like L-Pro then you still don't choose a filter. It is in both cases pure RGB processing.

Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@rjchuri)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

No filter since you didn't use a filter. If it is a broadband filter like L-Pro then you still don't choose a filter. It is in both cases pure RGB processing.

Wouter

You stated that no filter be chosen but the Combine RGB Tool has a menu "shot with filters" requiring one to choose something. Am I in the wrong area?

Bob

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@rjchuri What version of APP are you using? In both APP 1.083 and APP 2.0.0-beta2 the Combine RGB tool screen has these options:

Screenshot 2022 08 10 at 10.51.01

I don't see the "shot with filter" option that you mentioned. As I stated in my original reply, you need to choose the HaRGB 1 or HaRGB 2 formula:

Screenshot 2022 08 10 at 10.54.00

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@rjchuri Sorry, I now get your question. When you load an image, you get a popup that asks you about the filter(s). So, when you load the RGB image you'll get the popup three times: one for each color channel in the filter. The first channel is R so you choose the Red filter, the second one is G so you choose Green. The third one is B so you choose Blue. When you load the Ha image make sure to choose H-Alpha.

ReplyQuote
(@rjchuri)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Got it!

Thanks for your persistence with me.

Bob

ReplyQuote
Share: