Stacking without Da...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Stacking without Dark Frames? Possible?

6 Posts
2 Users
3 Likes
(@aditya_photos)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Hello Guys,

I am a DSLR user and sometimes i dont take dark frames but dither after couple of frames. Till now i have never faced any problem in DSS. I am not sure if APP allows stacking without Dark frames or not. Anyone can help me out? 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

It allows for not using any calibration frame, but I'd highly recommend using darks as it will help your data. You don't have to create them every session, just one or twice a year depending a bit on outside temperatures. If you don't want to use them, you can also create a very noisy (long exposure) dark and create a Bad Pixel Map from that, a BPM can be used for a very long time with all your data.

ADITYA SONI reacted
ReplyQuote
(@aditya_photos)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod thanks for the reply. I usually try to take atleast 15 or 20 darks depending how long my subs are and how much temp fluctuations occurs throughout the night. But sometimes i feel lazy to take.🤣

One more question, everytime A BPM is created. How to use it? When to use it? Can it be used with any future stacks no matter what was the exposure time; ISO etc?

Can i make a BPM with a 10min dark and flats at particular ISO (lets say ISO 800), and use it later with any other stackings?

TIA

This post was modified 2 years ago by ADITYA SONI

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes a BPM can be used with whatever data you have. You can take your worst darks and create a BPM with that, save it somewhere and re-use it every time. I would once in a while have a good check to see how well it still performs on the pixel level, but you can usually use it for a year or more (depending on your sensor's characteristics over time). I do tend to still use darks together with it, but if you have no amp-glow you can use just a BPM.

ADITYA SONI reacted
ReplyQuote
(@aditya_photos)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod it means! By making a Good Bad Pixel map, i can use BPM, Master Bias And Flats, together with light, right?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes indeed

ADITYA SONI reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: