Seeking advice on i...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Seeking advice on imaging computer build (AMD Threadripper 3970X)

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@cocoplum)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Hi.  I am having a large (24" f/3.3) welded aluminum Dob built, on a dual-axis equatorial platform, so it will be capable of imaging.  At 2313 mm FL after the 3" Big Paracorr, I will be able to bin my ASI6200MM pixels 3X (1.00 arc-sec/pixel) or even 4X (1.34 arc-sec/pixel), and with such large pixels (11.3 um and 15.0 um), I will be able to use really short exposures and still swamp the read noise at my 21.2 SQM imaging site.  But the downside of exposures in the 5 to 30 second range is a LOT of images to register and stack.  Each image is 120 MB, and there could easily be hundreds, if not a thousand of them to process.  My understanding is that APP can handle all of the cores and threads you can throw at it, which under Windows 10 maxes out at 32/64.  So AMD Threadripper 3970X.  My questions relate to the right amount of DRAM, how that breaks among DRAM sticks (so how many), and about the M2 SSD(s). I am currently looking to use G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3200 CL14. My questions are:

• Is 3200 CL14 (14-14-14-34) still the highest performance option?
  • For 32 GB, is 4x8GB better than 2x16GB?
  • Would 64 GB be better than 32 GB?  That would be 4x16GB.
  • On the M2 SSD front, I am holding out for Samsungs imminent launch of their 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 M2 SSD.
  • That will be available in up to 1 TB capacity.  Would that have benefits over the 500 GB version?
  • My MB choice, the Asus Prime TRX40-Pro S, has room and cooling for two M2 SSDs.  Would their be any advantage to adding a second M2 drive, and putting the OS and APP on that?  If so, can I assume that it would also want to be PCIe 4.0 and fast?  What capacity would be best?

Thanks!

All the best,

Kevin

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Hi Kevin,

So I’m not super into the latest PC technology, but 3200 memory seems plenty fast still. The timings and optimal memory configurations are usually something for games optimization (or overclocking to the edge of stability, which I wouldn't recommend for a processing computer). I don’t think it’ll make a huge difference for APP’s processing. If you can afford the best, indeed a threadripper is amazing, APP uses as many cores as you have. If 64GB is an option choose that. That SSD is going to help you a lot as well, in this case it doesn’t really matter what size, so I guess the more the better as well, especially when your projects are that big.

In the future APP will also harness the power of the GPU. It’s not necessary to buy the best right now as it isn’t in yet. Personally i would buy a decent GPU and wait for that option and buy a good one then.

ReplyQuote
(@cocoplum)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Thanks, Vincent.

All the best,

Kevin

ReplyQuote
Share: