OSC BB and NB combi...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

OSC BB and NB combination

12 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 WB91
(@blanshan91)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Guys,

If I wanted to combine OSC dual narrow band images to broadband color images, would the end result be the same if I merge the "HA-OIII Color" image file to the broadband RGB data during the basic integration process versus merging the "HA extract" and "OIII extract" data to the RGB data via the "9) Tool, RGB Combine" process?   

Also, when combining multiple sessions that have different exposure times, is there a setting in APP that needs to be turned on so the stack can accommodate for this?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

First point; basically yes, however with "Ha-OIII Color" you'll get a RGB result that has the standard corrections. If you want to make the Ha nicer/different or OIII, you have to work on them separately.

Second; You're talking about HDR I think. This is not an option yet, combining them will still produce a bit of an average effect, but not really like what you look for with HDR. This is something we want to add as an option in the future.

ReplyQuote
 WB91
(@blanshan91)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod   Thanks for your reply!!    Next question is, when stacking master light frames from previous sessions, are these framing be stacked by breaking down the color channels, then stacked, the recombined into a grand master integration file?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Not sure what you mean. I think you mean combining the narrowband data with previous RGB frames? If so, you separate the RGB first into R, G and B frames (split channels option in tab 2 all the way down). Then you load R, G, B and the narrowband data and register/normalize all together (after assigning them to the right filters). You can do this as well with previous full RGB integrations. So if you want to add H-alpha to RGB for instance, this can be done on a full RGB stack like this as well.

Here's a nice workflow in that regard; https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/postid/7610/

ReplyQuote
 WB91
(@blanshan91)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod   Say I got 4 different nights of imaging from a OSC, and each night has already been stacked into a master image, so there is 4 master stacks total. Now I want to stack these 4 into 1 final image.  When stacking these master integrations together into one final integration, does APP internally break down the RGB components of each file, registers them separate, then stacks them as R,G,B, then combines them into the final RGB image?  Im just trying to understand how this software handles these files with RGB data contained within.   

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Good question, I'm not entirely sure how the actual integration takes place, that would be a question for Mabula @mabula-admin

I think it just uses the RGB as-is, there's no real need to register on separate channels as the star positions don't change really in that sense

ReplyQuote
 WB91
(@blanshan91)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod  Thanks.  I would defiantly like Mabula to chime in on this.    This also brings me to a related subject.   If I have an image with chromatic aberrations, if I use Deep Sky Stacker and choose the "align channels" option, it fixes them easily, as I assume there process would be separating the RGB as singles and the registering them individually before combining and stacking.   When using APP's "align channel" or even "distortion correction", I do not see any improvements in the aberrations.   Is there a bug in APP's align channel feature because it doesn't seem to work?   

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

No that's not a bug, but the way to correct for that is not very clear (will be worked on as well in the future). This is because it works differently then the regular algorithms. You have to go to tab 2, all the way down select "align channels" save the frames and that should fix it.

edit: woops, I didn't read your reply properly, you already tried it exactly like this?

ReplyQuote
 WB91
(@blanshan91)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod    No, I just went through the entire integration process via tab 6 but turned on align channel from tab 2.  I did not save any signal frames in between tab 1-6.  It would be nice if APP would do the correction internally without having to save frames from tab 2 first, then have to load them back in and continue the stacking.  This doesn't make since though.  Saving frames from tab 2, how does this align channels if there are no registration of the channels first??   Seems like the process would be: calibrate frames>Analyze stars>Register by separating RGB from all lights and then recombine them so all RGB matches in light frame>Normalize>Integrate.   I assumed this was why dynamic distortion option was on the tab-4 register to do just this process, but it doesn't seem to do anything from my testing.  It just seems to me when stacking OSC data you would want to separate the channels and register them all back together to help reduce the effects of chromatic aberrations.  Thoughts?    

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes, that's why I mentioned it's not very clear and we should work on that. The thing internally is that it's not super easy to incoorporate it in the standard flow as we have it now. But we can make it way easier for sure. Mabula knows about this as well.

ReplyQuote
 WB91
(@blanshan91)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod  Thanks Vince for all you do to help support APP!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

That's very nice of you to say, great ending of this Saturday. 😉 I hope it worked for you btw.

ReplyQuote
Share: