One panel of my mos...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

One panel of my mosaic is washed out

10 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@mr1337)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I have a 2-panel LRGB mosaic that is registering fine but one panel looks quite washed out compared with the other.

Set up each session as a different panel and I set up 1st degree and 4th degree LNC hoping that would even things out. 

My normalization is set to Advanced/multiply-scale/BMMV with neutralize background off.

Anything else I should try to get the panels of the two images to better match up?

Thanks!

Mathew

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

So how does that panel look like when you integrate it first (before making the mosaic)? Is it quite different in quality somehow? What I usually do is to correct light pollution etc. per panel first and then I make the mosaic. Seems to work quite nicely, LNC then takes care of the rest.

ReplyQuote
(@mr1337)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

here you can see the mosaic and then the session 1 and 2 individually, just with an stf in pixinsight

NGC1909 mosaic Blue session 1 session 2 25pct
NGC1909 mosaic Blue session 2 25pct
NGC1909 mosaic Blue session 1 25pct

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Oh that looks very strange. Can you give some details on how you made the mosaic and what the input data exactly is? Is it raw files or did you already process them somehow?

Would be nice to have the 2 panels as well, I can have a quick look then as to what might be up.

ReplyQuote
(@mr1337)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Sure thing - should I share with your fb acct or is there a way to DM links to the raw file?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

You can upload it to our server, or.. since it's 2 panels; maybe share a wetransfer and e-mail it to vincent@astropixelprocessor.com. Whatever works best for you, if you want to upload to our server;

Go to https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com and use upload2 as username and upload2 as password.

Create a directory named “mr1337-mosaic” and upload in there. Thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@mr1337)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Sent along some files for reference. and here are the rest of my settings. Let me know if you need any more detail:

Register

Pattern Recognition Descriptors: Quadrilaterals

Scale Start: 5

Scale Stop: 10

[checked] Use dynamic distortion correction

[checked] Same camera and optics

Registration Mode: mosaic

Projection Model: projective

Normalize

Mode: advanced

method: multiply-scale

scale: BWMV

Integrate

integrate: automatic

LNC degree: 1st (also tried 4th) degree LNC

LNC iterations: 1 (also tried 3)

[checked] enable MBB

10%

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ok, thanks for the data, working on it now. Looking at the mosaic, it seems like you didn't use outlier rejection for the panels, is that correct? Or at least I'm still seeing satellite trails. What calibration data do you use? Did you use LNC also for creating the panels? If not, that may already improve things.

Furthermore, I didn't get the washed out effect, but the only difference is that I turned off "same camera/optics" and switched off dynamic correction (didn't work switched on in this case, which can happen if the data doesn't need too much correction). The registration RMS wasn't great though, so I'm wondering also how you made the mosaic, what kind of overlap etc?

ReplyQuote
(@mr1337)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Overlap is around 10%

Tried manually using the outlier rejection and that helped balance the frames out a great deal. I saw registration issues after doing that, specifically on the right side. After reintegrating with dynamic correction off I still saw some issues and went in and removed a few jumpy frames from the lights. After doing that and going back and turning on dynamic correction again I got a really nice mosaic. I think the only difference now is a few frames that had moved a bit and not using the automatic integration option. I guess that will be my go-to now is just to make sure I don't use that automatic feature for mosaics since that is pretty much the only change I ended up making in the end.

ngc1909 mosaic5 dyndistortion medianintegration adaptiverejection cbg lpc cbg St

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ok, interesting still as normally that would work pretty much automatically. But, good to see you got it working nicely!

ReplyQuote
Share: