Not enough RAM for ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Not enough RAM for processing ?

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jarbi58)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

Since 1-2 weeks I frequently get an error in APP saying that I was running out of available RAM memory. The strange thing is I didn't change the version ( 1.062 ) and I am not processing larger data sets than before.. At the moment I have assigned 6Gb out of the available 8Gb to APP, how could I figure out what is causing this ?

Clear skies,

Janos

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Janos @jarbi58,

Can you share in which module/ processing task this happens?

Perhaps you can try in APP 1.063, I have changed some internal memory settings. APP 1.062 wasn't releasing memory in between processing tasks and APP 1.063 is.

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@jarbi58)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

Thanks for replying, I just installed the new version. It was was running out of memory at the LNC processing or right after. I will reprocess the same sets to see the difference,

CS,

Janos

ReplyQuote
(@jarbi58)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

Since my last post I have processed several datasets without problem, but yesterday I have installed version 1.067 and I was getting the same error again. It is a set of Canon 700 raw images, 111 frames of 1 minute. As you see on the screenshot 5Gb of memory doesn't seem to be enough, is there a way to estimate how much would I need ? My PC has a totalof 8Gb memory in Win10,

CS,

Janos

Memory error

This post was modified 6 years ago by Janos

ReplyQuote
(@jarbi58)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

I just upgraded my RAM to 12 GB and assigned 9Gb to APP - problem solved 😉

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Dear Janos @jarbi58,

The LNC process can indeed consume and thus need quite a lot of memory,

• the higher LNC degree the more it needs
  • the more images, the more it needs.

The next LNC version (which will come, let's call it LNC 2.0) will be more efficient memory wise and I will make sure to pre-calculate the needed memory so a user is warned if the setting is not possible, or I will let automatically downgrade the LNC resolution (sort of speak) so it will still work. This has to do with the amount of sample points per image in the entire stack to make the LNC calculation.

In my experience on Windows 10, leaving 2GB to spare for Windows 10 to function is fine and with 1GB to spare, Windows 10 still can continue properly, allthough memory swamping on the hard drive would be more of a problem. If the main drive in the computer is a (fast) SSD, then it's no problem at all I think 😉

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: