mosaics from rotate...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please note our new Downloads page here

2023-01-19: APP 2.0.0-beta13 has been released !

!!! Big performance increase due to optimizations in integration !!!

and upgraded development platform to GraalVM 22.3 based on openJDK19

We are very close now to  releasing APP 2.0.0 stable with a complete printable manual...

Astro Pixel Processor Windows 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor macOS Intel 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor macOS Apple M Silicon 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor Linux DEB 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor Linux RPM 64-bit

mosaics from rotated camera ...

(@elgol)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

hi,

in august I wrote with mabula about this, but he has been quite busy since, having >10.000* customers to attend. I thought I had this solved today with beta6, but still I have these strange vortexes a bit.

so, this is what is had in august:

overview of panels:

2022 11 07 17 22 31 Greenshot

milkyway moscaic done with 40mm with a Nikon D810A in Namibia, 

panels 1 - 9 perpendicular to milkyway, the rest (10 to 19) parallel. each 1 hour exposure.

the above was easily done with ptgui pro, of course no stacking.

when using APP in august, I used calibrated projection with equitangular panels and a specific reference frame,

when u look at the other projections with ptgui one can gues why:

2022 11 07 17 23 55 Greenshot

so: when using all panels i did not get good results with APP:

mw mosaic all test01 RGB session 1 1 St

vortexes, swirls...

today with beta6 things are better, except in the area around the fighting dragons of ara:

ara 001 MW pano Namibia lNC 4th 4iter Mbb30pro RGB session 1 crop1 lpc cbg csc St

similar, but a lot weaker that I first missed them

I uploaded about 8 GB in august, could still be there: maybe "StefanLenz-WideFieldMosaic" called

by the way, with quite some efford I could do this with ptgui, pixinsight, lightroom etc back in august:

blend2 50prozent PS Merge 30Pro Bearbeitet

APP did this with LP correction only, today:

MW pano Namibia lNC 4th 4iter Mbb30pro RGB session 1 crop1 lpc cbg csc St

without further enhancements. but with vortexes (used LNC 4th degree, 4 it, MBB 30%)

any ideas how to get rid of these swirls without ditching half of the data?

regards

stefan

ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

for better understanding maybe, here a 100% comparison of the PTGUI mosaic and today's result with APP, both using all panels:

comparison PTGUI APP

the effect gets weaker outside this region, but is is the same effect I had stronger in august no matter what I tried with APP

This post was modified 3 months ago by elgol

ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

I admit this is hard. It must have something to to with the correction of lens distortion, at least that seems reasonable. It is quite time consuming trying around and from my findings not even consistent. Once it worked with triangles, then not for example. Integer scaled to 0.1 looked ok, scaled to 1.0 really bad. Quite irritating. I will find some time soon I hope to get more systematic in it. Not sure if this helps

ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

This time it worked with settings:

Starcount 1000 (before 1600)

Pentagon 1  to 10 (before to 15)

calibrated projective, same ref. frame, equitang. projection

Why I just cannot tell...

2022 11 18 12 21 49 Greenshot

This post was modified 2 months ago by elgol

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Apologies for the lack of respons elgol, we did notify Mabula, but he's very occupied with some nice advances in the calibration process for the next release. Is it now working consistently?

ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  
Posted by: @vincent-mod

Apologies for the lack of respons elgol, we did notify Mabula, but he's very occupied with some nice advances in the calibration process for the next release. Is it now working consistently?

I would not say consistantly, since it took months to find out with of course a lot of breaks and I do not know how or why - just that you need to carefully try out the crucial parameters that seem sensitive, which of course I did not know before.

What to derive from this of course Mabula suits best. Thanks for responding

ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

so, to see some "results" and not only problems, I will show version 8 of iteration 3:

MW  001 2022 blend8 Bearbeitet
MW Panel8 crops 001 2022 blend8 Bearbeitet
MW Panel8 crops 002 2022 blend8 Bearbeitet
MW Panel8 crops 003 2022 blend8 Bearbeitet
MW Panel8 crops 004 2022 blend8 Bearbeitet

never really satisfied, too many parameters, but that is ok and always the case. wider field mosaics where you want to see dust as well are hard. Iteration 1 was done in July with PTGUI, but with 32bit fits there is more possible, but not really easier.

(At some edges I had to fill in some stars...)

best is really to have a big print or a good big beamer, so then saturation and co can be adjusted better I think.

These are of course crops. I prefer 1:2 looks with these 255 megapixel mosaic

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by elgol

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

These are very nice elgol, amazing I would even say. Sorry for the troubles you had, these can be tricky still and we are working on trying to make these wide-shots easier as well.

ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod Yes it is..

here I have a comparison between "normal" processing and with strong(er) enhancements, a crop of the above mosaic:

2022 11 23 11 48 04 Greenshot

I guess somewhere inbetween is where I want to go

and look at this:

AG MilyWayt masterprint teaser 1 copy

do you recognize the pic from your website here?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Superb, I like how the nebulae are brought out in the more saturated version. Indeed, maybe the balance is slightly towards the red in that one, but I wouldn't mind putting that on a wall.

The giga picture on wall looks like what we have yes, looks amazing obviously. 🙂 Is it your site or something you found?

ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod It is the same, which Mabula used 2018 to do some tutorials here and which is on your website, the simulation from the start. I did it 2017 in Namibia, also processed it learning from Mabula. You can tell Mabula that Adam now finally will be putting it on his website astrography.com, so he promissed yesterday

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ah that is nice, thanks for sharing. 🙂

elgol liked
ReplyQuote
Share: