light frames over e...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

light frames over exposed

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jaximages)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

i have 6 hours of lights that unfortunately are about 2 stops over exposed. is there an easy way to batch them all and drop the exposure a bit?

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@jaximages Hi John. Sorry to hear that your exposures are overexposed.

I am afraid that there is nothing that can be done about it. The pixels have the maximum value and it is unclear what the real value should be because they could have any value larger than the maximum allowed for a pixel. If the maximum value of a pixel is 65535 (16 bits) then the real value could be 65536 or 76543 or 98765 or whatever other value. And that will be different for every saturated pixel. So scaling down the images is not possible.

ReplyQuote
(@jaximages)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@wvreeven thank you i was kind of afraid of that. i was wondering if i could pre process in Photoshop, convert to .tif and stack those. i realize i will lose some data, just wondering if that would be possible, ie stack .tif files?

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@jaximages Technically speaking that is possible.

But raw images contain metadata that APP puts to good use when processing the images and that metadata will be lost in the conversion to TIFF. Also, APP is written in Java and Java is picky about the TIFF format used so you need to make sure that the files are exported to the correct TIFF format before loading them into APP. You may need to experiment a bit before you encounter the right format.

ReplyQuote
(@jaximages)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

thanx. i am going to go ahead and process what i have. i did quick median stack in PS (no calibration data) and there is something there, lol. ill Post a result and one of the original images 

ReplyQuote
Share: