Interlaced Lines in...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Interlaced Lines in TIFF files

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@nhmorgan79)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

I'm having a problem that I can't seem to find anyone else having from a search. I'm exporting my Z7 files as uncompressed TIFF files from photoshop and lightroom. I know that the recommendation is to use the RAW files, but I like to remove airplanes and satellites first in photoshop. When I load these lights and open them in the viewer, many of them have large interlaced bands on the left hand side of the image. Within the bands are very small interlaced lines.

I'm saving with no image compression, interleaved pixel order, and IBM PC Byte order.

I'm currently using 1.083 beta2, but had this problem with the prior version, too. It's done this with images that APP itself has saved as TIFF files. What's confusing is that it will do it for many images but not others with no difference in the workflow.

This topic was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Nicholas Morgan

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@nhmorgan79 APP is written in Java and TIFF support in Java is flaky at best. I will ask Mabula if he'd like you to upload a few of your TIFF files so he can see what the issue is.

Having said that, did you know that APP very well can get rid of satellite and airplane trails as well? Have you ever tried processing your raw files and tweaked the outlier rejection parameters in tab 6 if the defaults don't work? If you want we can help you do that so you won't need to do it manually anymore.

ReplyQuote
(@nhmorgan79)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

@wvreeven Thanks for the quick response. Would APP need more than one light frame per panel to remove those? I've been working on 85mm mosaics with about 60% overlap, but no two light frames are the same.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@nhmorgan79 Removing satellite, airplane and meteor trails is a statistical process and the more frames the better. I am not 100% sure but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work well with less than 5 frames per panel.

ReplyQuote
(@nhmorgan79)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

@wvreeven

I've played around with it a bit more and it appears that on these files, if I load the star map, it appears to be working with the data just fine. They also seem to integrate ok, so it may be more of an issue with how it is displaying in the viewer. As a side note, as I tried this with 1.083 some of the files were failing to detect stars with the analyze stars tool or showing really low star counts (like around 100 for images with thousands). I reinstalled 1.082 and the analyze stars seems to be working just fine.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@nhmorgan79 Star analysis in 1.083-beta2 is flaky but if it works in 1.082 then it will work well in 1.083-beta1. Mabula is working on a fix for star analysis in 1.083 which is expected to be released soon.

ReplyQuote
Share: