Share:

APP 1.075 has been released !

2019 November: Complete LRGB Tutorial of NGC292, The Small Magellanic Cloud by Christian Sasse, Astronomer in Charge of iTelescope.net

2019 September: Astro Pixel Processor and iTelescope.net celebrate a new Partnership!

Large mosaics  

RSS

(@sprinklestudios)
Molecular Cloud Customer
January 30, 2019 19:08  

I ran across this message while trying to process a large mosaic and was wondering if there was a way around this. This is working from images with drizzle data from other software (only because I am familiar with it and still learning APP). But Figure I will run into this on APP as well. Right now I am at 10 panels and plan to work up to 32 panels and possibly more.

I am processing this on a 6-core i7 machine with 64GB of RAM. I have my settings all the way up to use 63GB of the ram. Last night even after APP tried to scale it down the 0.92417 it would still fail. Though I would much prefer it not to attempt to scale down since I plan to add a lot more panels to this and want to keep it at full size.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2019 01 29 20.27.59

This topic was modified 10 months ago by Mabula Haverkamp - Admin

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
February 5, 2019 16:28  

Hi Dennis @sprinklestudios,

As the message shows, you are running into a technical limit here...

At the moment, APP can't handle images larger than 2gigapixel in monochrome, which is about 700 megapixel in RGB.

To still create the mosaic in APP, the only option is to run it downscaled at the moment.

You can at least try to run it with a scale of 0,25x just to check if it turns out right, before using 0,5x for instance.

The amount of memory that you have, 64GB, should not be the problem here.

Kind regards,

Mabula

This post was modified 10 months ago by Mabula Haverkamp - Admin

Main developer of Astro Pixel Processor and owner of Aries Productions

ReplyQuote
(@sprinklestudios)
Molecular Cloud Customer
February 5, 2019 16:57  

Thank you very much Mabula for the reply! Do you have any plans to increase this limit in the future? I love using APP for mosaics but I really like shooting large mosaics. I am also trying to convince a friend into switching to APP and he shoots larger mosaics than I do.

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
February 22, 2019 12:51  

Hi Dennis @sprinklestudios,

Yes, I do plan to make larger mosaics possible. But It needs quite some adjustments in APP at the moment. The internal image structure needs to be altered to make this possible. It's definitely on my worklist though 😉

Mabula

Main developer of Astro Pixel Processor and owner of Aries Productions

ReplyQuote
Share: