Integrate : Pixel I...

Share:

We have updated the forum software 🙂 ! We are now working on upgrading the whole site and the Forum to a dark theme...  so please refresh your internet browser twice to properly update the forum appearance AND functionality... Check your internet browser for the refresh function, on windows, this usually is the F5 button, but it depends on your internet browser.

[Solved] Integrate : Pixel Interpolation  

RSS

(@fredmt)
Brown Dwarf Customer
February 10, 2019 19:22  

Hello,

First of all, thx for this amazing software. Because of the weather not being nice lately, I'm just reprocessing some 2018 data.

I've tried many different settings especially in the integration part.

However, I'm not sure about the pixel interpolation choices and how it affects my images.

What are the main differences among all of them ? (Nearest Neighbour, Bilinear, Cubic B-Spline, Mitchell-Netravali, Catmull-Rom Spline, Lanczos 3, 4, 5)

Is there a rule of thumb which one to choose in certain situation ?

Thank you

Fred

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
February 11, 2019 17:17  

Hi Fred @fredmt,

Thank you for very much and welcome to the APP forum 😉

Basically, Lanczos-3 is the best in most cases and therefore default.

The lanczos algorithms are the best at preserving sharp details.

Algorithms like Cubic B-Spline, Mitchell-Netravali and Catmull-Rom Spline are good as well, but will have a slight blurring effect. These are nice when you want to downscale images. I would not recommend these for upscaling because you will lose sharpness.

Bilinear is very simple and will blur your data even more, and it will give ugly artefacts possibly on the stars in your images.

Nearest Neighbour is the worst when it comes to data resampling. It will not preserver detail and will give a lot of artefacts. It will however preserve noise the best of all algorithms.

Simply said, use lanczos-3 normally and when you are downscaling, you can try either Cubic B-Spline, Mitchell-Netravali and Catmull-Rom Spline. If you pixel peep, you will see slight differences.

Kind regards,

Mabula

Main developer of Astro Pixel Processor and owner of Aries Productions

ReplyQuote
(@fredmt)
Brown Dwarf Customer
March 2, 2019 21:21  

Hello,

Thank you very much for this very clear answer. Will try if needed.

Fred

ReplyQuote
Share: