I'm stumped, please...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] I'm stumped, please help - individual frames show calibrated when launched by intergation is not!!

4 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@dcaponeii)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I must have a setting wrong somewhere.  I shot lights, flats, darks, and bias frame as usual on three separate occasions in the past two weeks and the final image comes out still containing the blemishes (dust motes, etc) that the flats should be removing.  This most recent run instead of using just the default settings I ran each tab separately (still using the default settings so I could inspect the frames at each step.  When I launch any of the frames following each of the calibration, analyze, register and normalize steps and view the calibrated frame it is free of the blemishes that the flats take out.  However, even in this case having confirmed that the individual frames are calibrated the final integrated image contains the blemishes.  I'm stumped.  I thought it might be my recent switch to beta 29 but while at lunch I ran my previous version (beta 14) and the same result occurred.  I've used this camera/scope combination for more than three years and have never had this trouble.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@dcaponeii)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Figured it out (FINALLY).  Had a light leak affecting my darks and bias frames.  I reshot calibration darks and bias frames after plugging the light leak and cleared up the calibration just fine.  I was too focused on thinking the problem was in the flats.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @dcaponeii,

Great, I am happy to read that you were able to solve this. Light leaks are very nasty and will create issues like this for sure. They can be so subtle that you would not notice it in a single calibrated light frame, but then all of a sudden, the issue shows in the integrated result like in your case.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@dcaponeii)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin I've started to look at my dark frames as soon as I've captured a few of them.  Load them into APP and stretch them to make sure there's not a new leak.  That step has allowed me to discover a new leak already.  It's my Meade microfocuser.  Light seems to be able to leak around the roller bearings somehow.  Black electrical tape tightly surrounding the edges of the rollers seem to have licked the problem (for now),

ReplyQuote
Share: