Help doing large mi...

Share:

APP BETA Release 1.075.beta4 is available for download now !

Especially recommended for iTelescope.net members for more compatibility with iTelescope.net calibrated data.

Release notes 1.075.beta 4 can be found here

Astro Pixel Processor and iTelescope.net celebrate a new Partnership! All current and new Astro Pixel Processor Owner's & Renter's license owners will receive a coupon code to get Triple Points at iTelescope.net

To celebrate the partnership with iTelescope.net, you can now buy an Owner's or Renter's license with 15% discount. In addition, you will receive a coupon code to get triple points at iTelescope.net in your order confirmation email.

Our celebration 15% discount action end tomorrow on the evening of Sunday the 15th of September !

More information here

Help doing large milkyway mosaic  

RSS

(@elgol)
Main Sequence Star Customer
June 16, 2019 17:19  

Hi,

I want to do a complete milkyway mosaic as soon as all panels are done. so far there are 12, done with Nikon D750 and a Sigma Art 40mm lens. With PTGUI Pro (testversion) it looks like this:

2019 06 13 16 39 34 Greenshot

with APP I stacked all panels separateley and played with parameters:

3: crucial and sensitive, so far best at 1500 to me

4: triangles takes long, penatgons works but see results below

it is the same optics and using mosaic mode APP forces to do so.  with scale I tried from 1 to 15 which seemd to work best,

used calibrated projetive mostly since the mosaic is over 200 degress across

flip x/y =? did not see a difference so quit using it

played with dist.margin, saw no effect

5: used advanced and mostly equitang. projection

6. default mostly, for I wanted to see if it works at all. scaled it to 0.1 to save time

the results were not encouraging to me so far:

with 7 panels I got this for example:

2019 06 13 08 55 52 Greenshot

with 12 this:

2019 06 13 13 58 25 Greenshot

after two days working on it I decided to make a break and next week restart from scratch

What am I missing? Any advice(es)? With PTGUI I need to give the program some controlpoints for a few panels it just cannot stitch without help. APP is really usually good at this, maybe this is too much.  

best,

stefan

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Galaxy Moderator
June 16, 2019 17:25  

I have to say that I'm not sure about the status of milky-way mosaics (@mabula-admin). This is already a pretty old post which might clarify some things ( https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/main-forum/distorted-milky-way-mosaic/#post-1384) but I have to ask Mabula about the best settings and if a better projection is still in the works..

I personally got it to work with some experimentation, but also that wasn't straight-forward and more a bit of luck playing around with the settings. Will get back to this shortly!

WebVersion

This post was modified 3 months ago by Vincent Groenewold - Moderator

ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
June 17, 2019 13:59  

Hi vincent,

I did many mosaics, which worked well, but none was wider than like 50 degress. 

I hope Mabula knows something, could just be it ain't possible with APP yet

Stefan

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Galaxy Moderator
June 17, 2019 14:20  

Yes, I'm simply not sure about it. I messaged him and he should be getting back to it shortly.

ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
June 25, 2019 09:07  

gave it another try, step by step: there is no way for me to prevent this:

when increasing the number of panels this crazy distortion gets worse no matter what I do. There is no rectangular projetion, only in the beginning it seems

ReplyQuote
(@dav78)
June 25, 2019 09:56  

Have you tried by choosing the reference image in the center of the mosaic ?

You could also try this : make several mini mosaic, let's say 4 to 6 panels each, and the process the resulting panels to make the whole mosaic ? Just an idea 😉 

ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
June 25, 2019 18:37  
Posted by: Dav78

Have you tried by choosing the reference image in the center of the mosaic ?

You could also try this : make several mini mosaic, let's say 4 to 6 panels each, and the process the resulting panels to make the whole mosaic ? Just an idea 😉 

hi, yes, tried it, curverture comes later then when adding more. adding them to a set of 3 and then stacking these did not work either, registration failure. at least I tried with the settings I permutated before which I guess are all except maybe a few strange combinations

stefan 

ReplyQuote
(@ralph)
Brown Dwarf Customer
June 27, 2019 07:18  

A "me too" post here...

I get good registration, but the projection model turns it into something that I'm not after. How about something like a Mollweide projection?

(@vincent-mod)
Galaxy Moderator
June 27, 2019 20:30  

Yes I think this should be easier to solve, I don't know if this is in the works as of yet (@Mabula-admin).

ReplyQuote
(@sharkmelley)
White Dwarf Customer
July 4, 2019 15:58  

Have you tried rotating your panels by 90 degrees (to create a horizontal Milky Way) and using "Calibrated Projective"?

https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/main-forum/distorted-milky-way-mosaic/#post-1389

Rotating the panels before loading them into APP was a crucial step - no other combination worked.

Mark

This post was modified 3 months ago by Mark Shelley

ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
July 10, 2019 11:49  
Posted by: Mark Shelley

Have you tried rotating your panels by 90 degrees (to create a horizontal Milky Way) and using "Calibrated Projective"?

https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/main-forum/distorted-milky-way-mosaic/#post-1389

Rotating the panels before loading them into APP was a crucial step - no other combination worked.

Mark

Hi Mark, yes, tried this as well. 

I talked to Wei-Hao Wang about this a while ago when I asked him how he did his great 360 degree milkyway (his answer was sincere and long, well done manual work!) and he had suggested to Mabula before to implement a 360 degree projection, like PTGUI and many others have. 

Cannot think of another way

Regards,

Stefan

ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
July 17, 2019 09:18  

one month by now, too bad, still now answer

ReplyQuote
Share: