flat frame not bein...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

flat frame not being applied

126 Posts
6 Users
7 Likes
(@moviecells)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi I have been trying for a week to understand why my images have so much vignetting but it seem my flat frame are not being applied but i don't know why.

I have a reducer fitted so there is some light loss on the edges but it seem it not getting corrected for in my final images. Flats are taken with a light panel around 30000 ADU tried 20000 and 50000 ADU also.

Here are some images of my flat, light and final integration of just luma to keep it easy but same results on RGB but a lot less on HA,S,O.

I have placed some files on my website link below if anyone wants to run them.

I did a test of not loading flats and dark flats and resulted image is the same so strange.

Now i know my flats,dark flats and dark are all taken at bin1 on the camera and my lights are bin2 but this was just a test i get the same results using bin1 lights.

Process i use is load lights, Dark master, dark flats, flats and then head to tab 6 to integrate i get no errors seems to run all ok.

lum integration
light
flat

link to files

https://www.moviecells.net/astro/

Any help would be great not sure what to try next

Mike

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Thanks for sharing the data, I'll have a look at that later. It does seem like the vignetting is a bit extreme as if it is clipping. So I'm wondering if something is up with the calibration of your flats for instance.

ReplyQuote
(@moviecells)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Thanks that would be great tried a few different ways to take flats they seem to give very close the same results. just to fill in some more info about the setup see below

Scope is a meade 14 inch ACF

Camera Zwo 2600mm

Reducer is a Optec Lepus

Filters 2 in Choma

The reducer should nearly cover the APS sensor size and filters are 2 inch so no problem there. Only thing of note is the reducer is some way from the back of the scope as i have a moonlite focuser before it.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Mm, I have some trouble downloading the data, they are represented as directories. Is it possible to get at it via ftp or another way to more easily download the entire directories?

ReplyQuote
(@moviecells)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi Let me zip it in to one file and upload again

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@moviecells)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

There should be a zip file there now just download and unzip that fora ll the files

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Thanks Mike! Downloading now, I'll probably come back to it tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
(@moviecells)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi thanks for downloading no rush.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Hi Mike, apologies for the delay, busy weekend. I'll have a look today and report back.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ok, so a couple of things I'm noticing; you're using a bit of an old APP version (1.079). I would advise to go to at least 1.082 as quite a few things were fixed in between. Also, you're exposing for about 0.25 seconds, that's usually a bit on the low side for flats, advised is to go for about 1-2 seconds and maybe shifting the histogram more to the right as well, it's now at about or just below 50% and given the vignetting I think it's good to move that to 60-70%. Just make sure it's not clipping.

Apart from that, it seems APP is not applying the calibration data at all, so I'm looking into incompatibility somewhere between the calibration data and the lights.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ah found it, you're binning at 2x2 for the lights and 1x1 for the calibration data. It's not possible to combine that.

ReplyQuote
(@moviecells)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi I did put that point in the details and i tried bin 1x1 for lights and the same problem happens. I will upload some new files with bin 1x1 lights for you totry.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Oops, sorry I forgot you mentioned that. Yes, if you provide the bin1 as well that should make for a better test.

ReplyQuote
(@moviecells)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi just uploading a zip called bin1x1.zip can you try that it has matching lights and cal all bin1x1. Also i did try moving the flats up to about 60% also tried putting a ND filter over the light panel to get the LRGB to the 2 second range and that made no change to final images also.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Thanks!

So at bin 1 they get applied normally; this is one frame without flats added:

before

Switching to "l-calibrated" on top of the view window gives me this:

after

That seemed to work and I integrated everything, with this result:

integrated

I then applied LPC correction, with this result:

lpc

That is showing a ring effect, which is very likely a light source, causing internal reflections.

ReplyQuote
(@moviecells)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi Thanks for trying but why is the integarated one look so over corrected just on the right side ? and under corrected on the left

5517 integrated

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

That is what is left over. The flats correct the vignetting only, light pollution is then what you're left with. It looks like there was a light source from the lower right coming into the telescope.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@moviecells Out of sheer curiosity, what version of APP are you using? If prior to 1.083-beta2, does it help if you enable 32 bit calibration files in tab 2?

To me it looks like the ring is caused by reflections off the secondary mirror holder. What light source do you use for the flats?

ReplyQuote
(@moviecells)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi I use a flat panel it a A2 drawing light panel and i have a extra sheet of diffuser over the top seem to work well and sit right on top of the telescope with the telescope pointing up.

This is meade SCT not a Newtonian so not sure if the bit about the secondary mirror holder could be true, i am running 1.079.

Do you think the problem a reflection in the flats or as Vincent put more of a light pollution issue.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@moviecells)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi How do i download the later versions if i go in to my download in my account it only lists Astro Pixel Processor 1.082 Windows 64bit

Can't see any other way to download

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Here is an overview of all download links: https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/appreleases/downloads/

ReplyQuote
(@moviecells)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi Can you explain this bit

Switching to "l-calibrated" on top of the view window gives me this:

Is there a way to view a calibrated light before its processed ?

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@moviecells Go to the top of the forum page and click on the DOWNLOADS Are Available HERE link.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

@moviecells Sure, you can find those options on top of the preview screen, here;

Screenshot 2021 06 08 091031

That pulldown menu has various options to show you the result of a process in APP. So when you go to tab 2, calibrate and calibrate your data there, after it has finished you can load 1 sub in the viewer, switch to "l-calibrated" from that top pulldown menu and you can see that one sub as a calibrated sub. If you already have masters for calibration, those will work immediately like this. The advantage of this is that you can check if your calibration (and registering etc) is working as expected before you integrate everything, saving you a lot of time if something is wrong.

ReplyQuote
(@moviecells)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi Got around to taking some Bin1x1 data last night and flat correction looks fine but i am seeing a strange line pattern down the image see attached tiff file of just blue but i seems to be in all channels can't see any problem in the light files. Let me know if i need to upload the fit files but thought i would ask first.

wo m51 Blue St

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@moviecells)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Let me try adding file as a png as it seem the tiff file is not displaying correctly.

wo m51 Blue St

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@moviecells The beta versions are available via the DOWNLOADS are available HERE! link at the top of each forum page.

ReplyQuote
(@moviecells)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi Yes found that last week thanks the problem now is more to do with the pattern in my processed files any idea what i could be

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@moviecells Sorry, I missed the comments on page 2 of the conversation. Do you see the line pattern as well if you integrate without darks?

ReplyQuote
(@moviecells)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I will run a test now, its strange because this is a ZWO ASI294MM that night i used it in its normal Bin2x2 mode matching bin2x2 darks, flats and darkfalts. Last night i used the same camera and set up but in bin1x1  matching bin1x1 darks,flats and darkfalts and can't see the problem. Could it be some kind of pixel pattern due to bining i did not run any dithering on both nights.

Mike

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5
Share: