Effect of dithering...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Effect of dithering on noise reduction

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@andersstange)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Hi,

What size and frequency of dithering between exposures would you advice to achieve effective noise reduction?

I have been analysing the SNR improvement as I stack increasing number of images in APP and I suspect it's not as good as it could be (ie significantly less than the squareroot improvement that I would expect using a limited read noise camera).

I also suspect that I could improve SNR with a more effective dither, hence my question.  Typically I have been using a relatively small dither (3-5 px) every 5th exposure or so. The question is how much of a change should I aim for? Would noise reduction improve with a larger dither of say 15-20 px and would it be beneficial to dither after every exposure?

Before heading into trial&error mode, some guidance on the way would be very much appreciated 😊

Thanks,

Anders

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

You can check out this reply from Wouter: https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/tutorials-workflows/compute-the-amount-of-pixels-to-dither/#post-26700

And the effect of dithering will reduce fixed noise patterns, not the random noise. Random noise lowers with more data, but will always be there. Given the answer from Wouter above, we usually dither for 10 pixels even or more.

ReplyQuote
(@andersstange)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Thanks for the quick reply. Very useful information.

What is not explicitly stated is if it is meaningful, from the noise reduction perspective, to dither after every exposure or if some other frequency will do as well. Especially relevant to know when doing many shorter exposures (like eg  100 frames or more of 120s), dithering after each is, if nothing else, a bit time consuming.

What’s your view?

Anders

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

You're welcome!

The more you dither the better, however I personally do it every 3 frames usually. That will depend on how much data you shoot though, if all you do is 20 frames on 1 object and that's it, I would dither every frame.

ReplyQuote
Share: