Do I need to retake...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Do I need to retake flats after camera rotation?

6 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@soylentgreen66)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Hello, do I need to retake flats after I rotate the camera or will APP compensate by automatically rotating the master flat? Right now I'm retaking them after every camera rotation but it takes awhile because I'm shooting in SHO narrowband. Thanks, Alan

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@soylentgreen66 That depends on what you mean with "camera rotation". If you mean "after a meridian flip where the camera keeps the same position with respect to the telescope" then no, you don't need to take flats and yes, APP will detect this and will apply the flats correctly. If you mean "the camera rotates with respect to the telescope" for instance when using a rotator or by manually changing the camera orientation then yes, you will need to retake the flats. For flats, the important aspect is whether or not the properties of the entire optical system have changed. In case of a meridian flip, those properties don't change. In case of removing the camera from the telescope and putting it back on or rotating the camera with respect of the telescope then the properties do change.

ReplyQuote
(@soylentgreen66)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Hello thanks, I meant the latter. I rotate the camera orientation with a rotator to better frame the subject. OK, good to know that you need to take new flats everytime. Now, I'm curious how people with an alt-az style mount and a motorized derotator handles flats.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I'm guessing not really as the problem remains that the dust (for instance) rotates along with the rotation of the camera.

ReplyQuote
(@soylentgreen66)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

By "not really", do you mean that you can't use flats with an alt-az mount and motorized de-rotator or do you mean I don't need to retake flats if I rotate the camera orientation. Sorry, the way I phrased my 2nd question was unclear.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Well, that's why I also mention "I'm guessing". 😉 I never used an AltAz like that so it'll depend on what exactly it does. If the sensor is rotated in respect to the stars or the filters in front of the sensor, you need flats for almost every angle. If the entire system stays the same and only the stars rotate due to the entire system rotating the same, then you can keep using the same flats. A meridian flip doesn't change the system which is why you can keep using the same flats as well.

Alan Tan reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: