Combining narrowban...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Combining narrowband with broadband data?

5 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
(@croz)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I’ve been using an L-enhance filter for the last year. This is a good filter for nebulas, but I’ve been thinking about getting an L-pro for galaxies. 

I’ve been wondering if people use both of these filters and combine the data in APP? I’m still having difficulty getting blues and yellows in my images, so wondering if using the broadband filter as luminance in APP?  

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Luminance won't bring out the colors though, it will help in getting more detail. For color you'd want broadband data added to the mix indeed and not too much filtering.

ReplyQuote
(@ippiu)
Neutron Star

Posted by: @vincent-mod

For color you'd want broadband data added to the mix indeed and not too much filtering.

What are you meaning? Could you please explain the workflow step by step?

I'm trying to find a workflow in APP for mixing LPro data with Extreme data, but I'm not satisfied too much...

For now I'm doing:

- process and stacking separately RGB (L-Pro) data, save R,G,B single channels cal

- process and stacking narrowband (L-Extreme) data by Ha-Extract and OIII-extract. 

- normalize R,G,B, Ha, OIII

- using RGBHOO combine tool to mix the 5 channels

Is this method the best to preserve the star colors?

Is this method the best to achieve the highest SNR ratio?

Which workflow do you advise to follow to achieve the most reliable colors and highest detail and SNR??

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

That is indeed a good workflow! However, getting the colors out is trickier as these signals are kind of weak. So RGB usually needs more data, longer exposures (mono camera's can help here as well as they collect more data per sub). Mixing in narrowband data will distort the normal distribution of the broadband signal. This is why color correction is a big hit or miss afterwards, keeping the colors very nice requires either mixing in less narrowband data or doing something like taking out the RGB stars and putting those back in later. Things like that. Adding saturation later of course also helps.

ippiu reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ippiu)
Neutron Star

@vincent-mod

Thanks a lot...

ReplyQuote
Share: