April 10, 2021 00:11  

What Happened to APP?

has development stopped?

The last update was 9 Months ago.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin
April 10, 2021 00:22  

@darrenphillips666 Darren, APP is far from dead. Mabula is working hard to get version 1.083 ready for release. See the announcement at the top of each forum page.

ReplyQuote
(@lanties)
Main Sequence Star Customer
April 12, 2021 14:35  

It maybe a good idea if Mabula, from a purely public relationship point of view, can give us a brief update on where things are and what to expect when. Many of us invested a lot of time in both using and promoting APP. 

ReplyQuote
(@philter)
Hydrogen Atom Customer
May 6, 2021 17:19  

I renewed my renter's license last month for the 4th time since 2018 and it got me thinking about updates and value afterward.

Has there actually been a major update to APP that I would have missed out on had I got an owner's license in 2018 instead? 

Looking back on my orders, I've paid €267.48 in total for 4 years of renter's licenses. An owner's license is currently €198. I can't help but feel I would have been better off buying instead of renting.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
May 6, 2021 17:30  

Well, that's kind of the thing with a renter's license, it's not too much per year on a product you use regularly and you always get the latest updates no matter how big. It also supports our team better, which in turn makes the product more viable for longer.

On the other hand, the owner's license is always yours forever, but there is going to be an update that requires an extra fee (if the update is deemed big enough), you have the option not to upgrade though and the current version will work forever, if you're happy with it and don't need the new features then you can simply keep on using the current version you have. So it is a choice, I think APP is one of the very few packages that gives you the choice of either an owner or renter's license.

ReplyQuote
(@philter)
Hydrogen Atom Customer
May 6, 2021 17:42  

I get what you're saying but I was wondering whether there have actually been any updates/features added in the last three years that a person who bought an owners license at the same time as me wouldn't have got.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
May 6, 2021 17:49  

No, Mabula hasn't charged that fee for the owner's license yet.

ReplyQuote
(@lammertus)
Red Giant Customer
May 6, 2021 18:18  

Hi Vincent,

I was also asking myself if the development still continues since

the update to 1.083 beta 2 has been anounced since quit some time now.

Is the development  on the CUDA paralel processing is still at the same point?

Stay well,

Mert

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
May 6, 2021 18:51  

It is yes @lammertus, very much so. It may be a good idea to put a webcam in Mabula's office. haha This is the first time a version is just taking a long time, due to the complexity and Mabula moving over to an office etc. I expect, depending on the feature going forward, the updates may come every month or so again, just like they were before this version.

ReplyQuote
(@lammertus)
Red Giant Customer
May 6, 2021 18:56  

Hi Vincent,

Yes growing into an office environment etc. means a lot of

other things to attend to as well and time is limited.

Do you think when ( ever ) the Vulkan stuff is up and running that

that would be a major upgrade ( extra fee )??

Stay well,

Mert

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
May 6, 2021 19:59  

I unfortunately don't know about that, only Mabula does. Vulkan is not yet near as that is quite tricky to implement. I do think that once he's settled in the new office there will be some new focus again on the road ahead.

ReplyQuote
(@kelvin-hennessy)
White Dwarf Customer
May 8, 2021 06:21  

What a coincidence - I came into the forum this afternoon to ask exactly this same question as to whether APP was still being actively developed, as I have had a couple of up-and-coming astro-photographers ask me what software I would recommend they purchase.

I have recently been very reluctant to recommend APP due to the lack of response from Mabula to certain questions and the lack of any update news on the 1.083 release.  I've certainly had the impression that something has been wrong.

It's good to hear Mabula is still in good health and working hard on the next version

ReplyQuote
(@nicholas64)
White Dwarf Customer
May 9, 2021 15:17  

What is the Vulkan thing?

ReplyQuote
(@kelvin-hennessy)
White Dwarf Customer

ReplyQuote
(@nicholas64)
White Dwarf Customer
May 10, 2021 02:16  

@kelvin-hennessy

thanks

ReplyQuote
(@darrenphillips666)
Hydrogen Atom Customer
May 10, 2021 23:52  

APP went from monthly-ish updates to nothing..

If its not breathing, its dead...

Say whatever you want 

But the only proof of life is a software Release......

ippiu liked
ReplyQuote
(@nicholas64)
White Dwarf Customer
May 11, 2021 02:53  

@darrenphillips666

The fact the developers are actively answering questions in this forum and the reasons for the delays were relayed above you still believe it's dead?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
May 11, 2021 09:21  

I wouldn't be here if it was indeed. 😉 I understand the frustration about the delay of this release, but it's actively developed, while Mabula is moving office. I can say that he is going to change the release schedule after this as he understands that more, smaller releases give less frustration overall. Also, regarding saving settings which is highly requested, he moves that up from being released in 1.085 to 1.084, which is the next release after the one coming out very soon now.

ReplyQuote
Share: