Calibrate star colo...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Calibrate star colors

8 Posts
2 Users
3 Likes
(@susan)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

I did something unusual again. If you load an image, calibrate background and save it as tiff and load that tiff to calibrate star colors a window pops up telling me to use calibrate background tool first.

Normally I use fits because APP seems to like fits better but when I saw this I tried it with a few different images and the outcome is the same for all cbg saved tiff (16 bit integers).

No problems with fits files.

It also took me some time to figure out the rotating tool. When you rotate and click show the file isn't saved but shows rotated on screen, when I pressed ok it rotates again and does save.

So I have to set it back to angle 0 before you press ok or guess the angle I want to rotate it and press ok directly.

I find it a bit confusing, for me show is like a preview of what you want APP to do when you click ok.

I know now but maybe it's something to think about.

Is it possible to set a different starting point for the work directory? I installed APP on drive D: and it still starts with c:\Users\username\Documents.

Not a big problem but I don't favor extra mouse clicking/scrolling if I don't have to.

Just wanted to let you know my findings and do like APP, mostly it's very easy to use,

Susan

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Susan,

Thank you for mentioning this.

Indeed, the calibrate star color tool needs information from the background calibration tool. This information is currently saved in the FITS header, but not yet in the TIFF header. I have added this to my TODO list.

Regarding the rotate/resize tool, indeed, the show is meant as a preview what will be saved when you click on ok. If this doesn't work then something is not right. When I click on ok it always comes out like the show shows. Not on your system? Any guessing or setting it back to zero degrees shouldn't be applicable at all.

Regarding the work directory. I intend to have the work directory saved in a configuration file, so you can set it once and the next time that you start APP, it will be set like in the previous APP session. Would that work for you?

Thank you Susan for your thoughts and compliments 😉

Mabula

Scott Rosen reacted
ReplyQuote
(@susan)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

Fits header, yes that makes sense.

About the configuration file that would be very usefull not only for the work directory but for other settings as well.

About the rotating let me try to show you how I did it.

This isn't my data, it was my first shot of processing narrowband data but the image shows the rotation very well that's why I'm using this for the screenshots.

As I figured it out the now original is allready the right angle but this is just for showing how it rotates.

Number 1 shows the original

Number 2 shows the 90 degree when I clicked show, then I clicked ok

Number 3 is creating the image

Number 4 says 90degCW  and as you can see it rotated again

Number 5 I loaded the first image again, set it to 90 degree and clicked show, before making the screenshot I set the angle back to 0 then clicked ok

Number 6 says 0degCW but has the right angle of 90 what I wanted in the first place

I also tried on my laptap and it does the same thing there.

Please let me know if you need more/different screenshots or something else.

Susan

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Susan,

Okay, I now understand. I'll test it myself just like you showed and will fix it.

Thank you for your clear explanation 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Susan,

The rotate bug is fixed 😉 in the upcoming version (probably 1.053). The bug mainfested itself when you choose to use the rotate/resize the image currently in the image viewer.

I'll now work on the header info from background calibration for TIFF images.

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@susan)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Great news Mabula,

Thanks for the heads up,

Susan

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

You're welcome Susan, new version will probably be released tomorrow 😉

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Susan,

Indeed, the calibrate star color tool needs information from the background calibration tool. This information is currently saved in the FITS header, but not yet in the TIFF header. I have added this to my TODO list.

The information is now added to the TIFF header as well, so this is also fixed in APP 1.054. You will find the background values in the Tags "CBG-1", the number represents the color channel RGB -> 123. If you save as a TIFF at the end of the background calibration tool, you are forced to save it in the same bitdepth, otherwise the calibrate background value doesn't match the data if you start the calibrate star colors tool.

app Tiff BGvals

Cheers,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: