Binning -- I'm sure...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Binning -- I'm sure I'm missing something obvious

6 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@rickwayne)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

So I heavily weighted my last two sessions to luminance, and it occurs to me that if I bin the R, G, and B, I'll get rid of some chrominance noise without losing any detail. But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do that in APP. I see this helpful thread, but that looks as if it would actually reduce the image size so that it no longer registers with the L channel -- I want to leave the L channel alone. Do I have that correct? Or is there another way to accomplish this?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

You can still register to the luminance channel, APP will automatically change the resolution to match.

ReplyQuote
(@rickwayne)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Ah, OK, thanks Vincent! But will APP upscale the "binned" (downscaled with interpolation) RGB data, or downscale the luminance to match? What I want is a full-scale luminance image with the lower-resolution RGB informing each pixel's color.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I think it automatically goes for the bin 1 as that is usually also the best quality, so it should upscale then.

ReplyQuote
(@rickwayne)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

COOL! Well, I will definitely have to try that. For the particular image I was working on, the question is mostly moot -- I just went out and doubled my integration time :-). But I'll certainly want to have that technique in my toolbox. BTW I got all bound up in this Markarian's Chain image and left the Leo's Triplet one by the wayside (the one whose color balance we were discussing in another thread). I'll get back on that and resume that chain. Thanks again for your help with that, and this.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

No worries, always here to assist when possible. 😉

ReplyQuote
Share: