Binning and flats (...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Binning and flats (masters or new)

3 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
(@xthestreams)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hey everyone, I had a quick search of the previous topics and can't find anything about this.

I've recently moved to 2x binning most osf my data by realised my dawn flats were being created using 1x data. I will eventually collect some 2x flats so this is a short term problem, but I was wondering if APP down-samples/scales my flats to match the geometry of the 2x images or if they are not being used at all. 

Which makes me think it would be great to know what calibration files are applied to each image and to be able to modify it manually if APP ever gets it wrong.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @xthestreams

Hey everyone, I had a quick search of the previous topics and can't find anything about this.

I've recently moved to 2x binning most osf my data by realised my dawn flats were being created using 1x data. I will eventually collect some 2x flats so this is a short term problem, but I was wondering if APP down-samples/scales my flats to match the geometry of the 2x images or if they are not being used at all. 

Which makes me think it would be great to know what calibration files are applied to each image and to be able to modify it manually if APP ever gets it wrong.

Hi Paul @xthestreams,

In the current calibration engine, masters that have a different dimension than the lights are not used. So bin1x1 masters are not applied on bin2x2 lights. We will make this possible going forward, but I can only recommend that you create masters of the same resolution as the lights, especially for flats where flats also help on pixel scale to correct pixels in how they behave on the incoming light. Not all pixels behave perfectly linear and flats can help to correct this as well 😉

APP shows you clearly which masters are used after step 2) Calibrate, in the Frame List Panel at then bottom, you have the frame column on the left. The masters that are attached to the lights are shown in that column 😉

APP always checks for compatibility of masters with lights in terms of pixel dimensions, ISO/gain and exposure 😉

Hope this answers your question?

Mabula

Paul Muller reacted
ReplyQuote
(@xthestreams)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Thanks Mabula - I had assumed as much on teh geometry question, but it was worth checking. I went back and captured some bin2x flats and still had a problem until I realised that (looking that the column I had never noticed before!) that it was using the same flat for everything (I had selected the "use the same choice for everything checkbox, I assumed it would only apply the same answer for the same filter type and same session, but it applied to all).

Once I fixed that it worked great! Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Share: