Back Ground Neutral...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Back Ground Neutralisation problems

6 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@russ-telfer)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

All day I’ve been trying to stack lights, darks, flats, and dark flats taken on an Altair Astro 294c OSC with a quadband filter.  Using pretty much default setting in Adaptive Airy, but with the option for background neutralisation turned off.  All seems to stack ok (although sometimes it turns out purple🤷‍♂️) but as soon as I then select tools - remove light pollution (or background neutralisation) the image changes to ‘blocky’ single colour mess.  This gets 100 times worse if I actually select boxes and calculate.  It seems it maybe connected to the darks as it is not so bad if I stack without.  If I select Neutralise in Normalisation the initial stacked image just comes out as a mass of bright red, the same as selecting the option in tools.  Don’t think I have bad darks as I’ve used these from my library on countless times. It’s not the flats or dark flats as it does it without.  Each single Light looks to be a good image.  What am I doing wrong?  APP is version 1.082.

41F645F0 5D79 4201 AA83 D7781DBFE427

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

You should use a different algorithm in tab 0. Here you can choose to go for Ha signal, OIII signal and others and combine those later for instance. Here's a workflow for the duoband, but the steps for narrowband extraction can be applied to these filters as well, just using the options in the demosaic algorithm that are comptible with your filter; https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/postid/7610/

My guess here is that you mainly have h-alpha signal and very little in the other channels. That means that using a normal algorithm will get very noisy probably.

ReplyQuote
(@russ-telfer)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod thank Vincent but I’ve already tried Ha-OIII colour and it does the same thing.  These are from the latest stack the first image is straight from stack (purple which to me says the bayer isn’t correct ? But I’ve had this before on initial stack and it rights itself when selecting Background neutralisation).  The second image is on selecting LP removal. Last one is after LP removal calculation

FFDD948E FB4A 49B2 BFAE 7E4DC24C2047
801436EE 30B2 495D B4F7 F1F261F67F8F
07B402BC 2DFB 4A8E B9DF A29A31CC19F9

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Oeh ok. I need to have a look at the data then to be able to help better;

Please upload some of the relevant subs to our server;

Go to https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com and use upload3 as username and upload3 as password.

Create a directory named “russ-telfer-quadbandissue” and upload in there. Thank you

ReplyQuote
(@russ-telfer)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod. Many thanks Vincent, just tried and Ha and OIII extract and it looks stunning 😊. Every day is a school day. 
Russ 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ah, haha. That is totally fine Russell, I love to learn anyway so good on you. 🙂 If you have further questions for combining the results etc let me know.

ReplyQuote
Share: