Automatic Integrati...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] Automatic Integration choosing Median with more than 20 frames with APP 1.077

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@biggen)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I was creating some new master flats and chose "Automatic" as the integration method. I loaded 30 subs, yet APP still used median as the integration method when I read the output from the console as it was working. This is in contrast to what I've always read that if you have more than 20 subs you should choose average.

Is this correct behavior?

This topic was modified 4 years ago by Biggen

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

@biggen,

Yes indeed, that is correct behaviour.

For masterflat creation, the automatic integration will always use median integration. Reason being that it prevents a lot of issues with flatpanels 😉 and/or short exposed flats. Simply said, to get a proper masterflat, in most cases, median integration of your flats is much more robust for good flat-field calibration.

And yes, for bias, darks/darkflats, lights you definitely want to use average over median with more than 20 frames. Reason being that average integration is superior to median integration when it comes to noise reduction, and that fact... is almost never a problem with MasterFlats. The Signal to Noise Ratio is already very good of single flats, let alone of a MasterFlat.

So the rule does not apply really for flats. If you have good stable flats, then by all means integrate with average if you wish, but it will very likely not affect the noise levels in your final light frame integrations significantly.

Kind regards,

Mabula

Biggen reacted
ReplyQuote
(@biggen)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Excellent. Thank you so much for that quick reply.

ReplyQuote
Share: