Astrophotography Pr...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2022-05-29: APP 2.0.0-beta2 has been released !

Release notes

Download links per platform:

windows 2.0.0-beta2

macOS x86_64 2.0.0-beta2

macOS arm64 M1 2.0.0-beta2

Linux DEB 2.0.0-beta2

Linux RPM 2.0.0-beta2

Astrophotography Processing Competition

(@1cm69)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

Astrophotography Processing Competition from ChileScope :

http://www.chilescope.com/about/newsletter/52/

could be fun on cloudy nights.

ReplyQuote
(@1cm69)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

Their data download link is a bit messed up as they have text added to the end of the URL.

Here is the clean URL: 

https://chilescope.wetransfer.com/downloads/e4137cb864a25c0007e366a9d700dd7f20190131151740/f710023e5e201e1cdeb5b0853ab89c6720190131151741/2b7c6f

ReplyQuote
(@1cm69)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

I have downloaded the data and loaded it all in to APP at once as a 'Multi-Session processing' using session names Telescope2 & Telescope3 the same as the data and all light and matching calibration files were added to the relevant session.

No idea if this will work as there are calibration files with varying binning and exposure times, hoping APP will sort it all out on it's own.

This is a major test for me as I have never attempted anything this complex before.

ReplyQuote
(@1cm69)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

I started processing over again as I forgot that I needed to select the 'Multi-Channel/Filter processing' option as well

ReplyQuote
(@1cm69)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

Something odd happened while processing.

Even though I loaded all the Darks from the data in to APP, varying 300s, 600s, 1200s and some bin2 as well as bin1 - APP only created 3 MD files:

[MD1 1200s (4096x4096)]

[MD2 300s (2048x2048)]

[MD3 1200s (4096x4096)]

so because no MD of 600s was created I had to scale the 1200s for the matching 600s Lights

ReplyQuote
(@1cm69)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

Here's my take on the data

FoxFur Nebula ChileScope

There is probably a better way to do this but this is the way I produced the final image.

I made an integration of each channel for each telescope, so I ended up with:

Telescope2 - L, R, G, B & Ha individual integrations

Telescope3 - L & Ha individual integrations

I then tried to combine all the individual integrations using the Combine RGB tool but came unstuck because the max is 6 channels and there are 7

Then I combined all the Telescope2 channels to a single image using Combine RGB, reloaded the tool to add this now combined image and APP asked me to map the 3 channels in the image, I chose Red, Green & Blue.

Now I could add the L & Ha channels from Telescope3 to this already combined image.

With some slight post processing, mainly selective colour, this is my final outcome.

I am sending it in to the ChileScope competition.

Kirk 

This post was modified 3 years ago by 1CM69

ReplyQuote
(@1cm69)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

I'm making another attempt at processing this data and this time I am doing things slightly differently.

I am combining the 2 Lum data to a single integration.

The 2 Ha to a single integration.

Then I am processing each of R, G & B channels as individual integrations.

I will then load these integrations as Lights and using tips from here:  https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/main-forum/multi-channel-processing-issue/

combine the channels in to one image with Combine RGB

One question though, should I combine all the integrations first before using any of the other tools, Calibrate Background, any post processing or can this be done on each integration before combining?

I am thinking mainly of sharpening on the Ha channel

Another question, when APP states that below 20 frames use Median otherwise use Average is this on a per session basis when using Multi-Session or is the frame count the total of all sessions?

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by 1CM69

ReplyQuote
(@astrogee)
Red Giant Customer

Thanks for the heads-up! Looks interesting.

1CM69 liked
ReplyQuote
(@1cm69)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

Struggling with the R, G & B channels as they all share the same set of Darks but there is an awful vertical line on the Darks.

Telescope2 001Dark 300 bin2

I am attempting to remove this during calibration using outlier rejection when creating the MD.

What I thought was slight Amp Glow in one corner does not get removed with the 'reduce amp glow' option

ReplyQuote
(@1cm69)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

I think I have tried every option inside the Calibration tab on APP to remove this column without any success.

I just carried on to Integrate and set outlier rejection to:

LN MAD Sigma Clip, Kappa 3.0, Iterations 1 & Diffraction Protection at 5

The line is not apparently visible on the stacked image 

This post was modified 3 years ago by 1CM69

ReplyQuote
(@1cm69)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

OK, here is my second version.

I did not make any processing to the individual integration prior to combining them to the LRGBHa.

While combining I played around with the various sliders to get something I was fairly happy with, then some HSL before finally sharpening etc...

Completely done in APP without my norm of tweaking in PS needed.

FoxFur Nebula

ReplyQuote
(@annehouw)
Main Sequence Star Customer

Hi Kirk,

Impressive! Your APP post-processing skills are clearly better than mine. I still have to rely on photoshop a lot for the last mile.

If I may comment on this: I like the colors in the "red" version much more than in the "magenta" version. Might be a personal color preference thing though. I do not know if it is due to how the eye see contrast in colors, but it seems to me that some of the beautiful texture in the nebula has been lost in the red version? E.g. above the central star. The "furryness" seems more prominent in the earlier version. And on my color monitor I see a hint of a green cast in background (top right)?

CS! Anne

Just observations. Admire your result and appreciate your write-up!

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Annehouw

1CM69 liked
ReplyQuote
(@1cm69)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  
Posted by: Annehouw

Impressive! Your APP post-processing skills are clearly better than mine. I still have to rely on photoshop a lot for the last mile.

If I may comment on this: I like the colors in het "red" version much more than in the "magenta" version. Might be a personal color preference thing though. I do not know if it is due to how the eye see contrast in colors, but it seems to me that some of the beautiful texture in the nebula has been lost in the red version? E.g. above the central star. The "furryness" seems more prominent in the earlier version. And on my color monitor I see a hint of a green cast in background (top right)?

Just observations. Admire your result and appreciate your write-up!

Thank you for replying. 

The second image was the first time I had managed to only use APP from start to finish which makes a workflow much easier. 

I do struggle with the sliders in APP though as they’re very sensitive and make it very hard to repeat a procedure. 

Glad you like the images and I agree with you in that I personally prefer the first images and I did send that one in to the competition but as others have entered I saw that their images were quite different from my entry but similar to each other so I made an attempt to mimic those with a subtle difference. 

I then changed my entry to the second image. 

All art is subjective though, that’s the beauty of it. 

Hope you try out the data too, I’d love to see others take on it using APP

Regards..,

Kirk

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Hi Kirk @1cm69 and Anne @annehouw,

Very nice results Kirk 😉

I will give it a go tomorrow ! And that will also help me to address all of your questions 😉

Cheers,

Mabula

1CM69 liked
ReplyQuote
(@1cm69)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  
Posted by: Mabula Haverkamp - Admin

Hi Kirk @1cm69 and Anne @annehouw,

Very nice results Kirk 😉

I will give it a go tomorrow ! And that will also help me to address all of your questions 😉

Cheers,

Mabula

Looking forward to your result Mabula 😉

Kirk

ReplyQuote
Share: