APP interpreting Mo...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please note our new Downloads page here

2023-01-19: APP 2.0.0-beta13 has been released !

!!! Big performance increase due to optimizations in integration !!!

and upgraded development platform to GraalVM 22.3 based on openJDK19

We are very close now to  releasing APP 2.0.0 stable with a complete printable manual...

Astro Pixel Processor Windows 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor macOS Intel 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor macOS Apple M Silicon 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor Linux DEB 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor Linux RPM 64-bit

APP interpreting Mono data as CFA RGGB data - Help!

(@rapollock)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

Deep Sky Stacker correctly interprets my QHY163M data as greyscale. But APP is interpreting it as CFA and giving terribly grainy stacks. How do I get it to read correctly? This is a new problem. I did not have it when processing data from the same camera before. All of the images are .fit images captured with APT.

This topic was modified 5 months ago 2 times by ROBERT POLLOCK

ReplyQuote
(@rapollock)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

Well, I figured out a workaround. I opened all of the image files in another program and resaved them. Now APP sees them as greyscale files. Weird huh?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I guess that the data you have saved from the camera (via particular software) doesn't include the correct tag in the header of the file. DSS may use some standard way to the revert to grayscale, I don't know, but that would make sense. If you then save it via a different program that does add a tag, APP will correctly see this. If that's the case, my advice would be to let the makers of your capture software know this would be nice to add as APP is not assuming anything if it doesn't know from the data.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Customer

Robert, in tab 0 you can select "no interpolation" so APP interprets your data as mono data instead of color.

Screenshot 2022 09 03 at 09.19.08

ReplyQuote
(@rapollock)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

Actually, I tried 'no interpolation' too, but it didn't work on this data set for some reason. I found the workaround by accident when I opened and rotated a few of the subs with Nebulosity. I noticed afterward that it wiped many of the header tags and that restored the proper greyscale. I will have to check the Astro Photo Tool to see why this happened.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Customer

@rapollock Did you check the FITS headers if the raw subs to see if a Bayer matrix FITS header item with the value "RGGB" or something similar is present? If yes then you may need to check APT for how to avoid writing that FITS header to the raw files.

Also, I forgot to mention that you need to tick "force Bayer/X-Trans CFA" as well to make sure that APP uses the selected pattern (even if in this case it means that APP should NOT force the debayering).

ReplyQuote
(@rapollock)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

Ah, I would not have thought of the latter, but it makes sense. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Share: