APP eating up color...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

APP eating up colors?

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@maxthebuilder)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

I really like APP. Currently use APP 1.083-beta1.

Still, I often use other applications to stack - DSS, SiriL and Sequator just to see if there's a difference.

Sequator I use often for wide-field with a background which needs to be "frozen".

So, I got some wide-field pictures of Milky Way and stacked those in APP, DSS and Sequator.

APP stack is clearly lacking color comparing to DSS and Sequator.

Also the hills should be brownish as in DSS and Sequator but they are green (as if it was spring-time) in APP.

I wonder why?

DSS:

autosave psh sm

Sequator:

2020 07 20 00 17 27 seq psh sm

APP:

app st psh sm

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Could you mention what you tried to use in APP? Like your workflow?

ReplyQuote
(@maxthebuilder)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Everything was default. Integration - auto. Stretch 15% BG, 3 sigma, 2.5% base, save as tiff and finish in Photoshop like others (setting up the black level and nothing else).

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Right ok, so what you see here is more the raw data then. In APP you can use the LP (light pollution tool) to remove some more gradients and the star color correction to get the best colors. Then on the right you can switch on saturation and it should look a lot better already.

ReplyQuote
(@maxthebuilder)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

It was about a month ago when I collected/processed this set of data... I don't remember exactly what I did to every stack.

So I went ahead and restacked/reprocessed. And got completely different result with APP!

Now APP is very close to Sequator and DSS.

Can this be 1.082 (which I used a month ago) vs 1.083b1 (which I used today)?

Here's what I did.

Stacked with APP, Sequator and DSS.

Processed each stack in APP:

-- calibrated background (5 boxes - four in the corners and one close to the middle, avoiding the ground).

-- calibrated star colors (one big box excluding the ground/hills).

-- 15% BG, 3 sigma, 2.5 base. Save to 16b TIFF.

-- Photoshop. Adjust black level, resize and save to jpeg.

All three did similarly and well.

DSS was OK but didn't stack stars properly in the right-top corner.

Sequator worked surprisingly well. It doesn't work as good for high-magnification DSO but for wide-field it's really good.

APP did very well. Not sure what happened the previous attempt. Maybe there was really something in 1.082.

And, by the way, that was unmodified Nikon D5500 with 14mm lens (ISO6400 and f/4) at Bortle 4 location. Just 10x13s frames.

APP:

app new cbg csc St sm

Sequator:

seq cbg csc new St sm

DSS:

Autosave cbg csc St sm

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Mmm, not sure if that much changed between those versions (I would have to check the release info for that), but at least it works now to your liking which is what matters. 🙂 You're sure you did the same star color calibration in the first try?

ReplyQuote
Share: