2.0.0 beta 1 on M1 ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2022-05-29: APP 2.0.0-beta2 has been released !

Release notes

Download links per platform:

windows 2.0.0-beta2

macOS x86_64 2.0.0-beta2

macOS arm64 M1 2.0.0-beta2

Linux DEB 2.0.0-beta2

Linux RPM 2.0.0-beta2

2.0.0 beta 1 on M1 Max - strange Memory usage display

(@jochen-scharmann)
Main Sequence Star Customer
Topic starter  

Hi,

I observed a strange effect which might be a minor bug or a non-issue:

Running a full stacking process, the RAM usage of ARR ramps up while Analize Stars process, lowering below 16GB for APP afterwards. However, the OS RAM usage display ramps up during Normalization until it reaches the ceiling (64GB on my computer), while APP usage remains below 16GB. Strangely, the CLEANER PRO APP is showing only half the memory is used in total (around 20-30 GB). See below screenshot, in the menu bar to the right.

Bildschirmfoto 2022 05 20 um 17.08.26

So which RAM usage exactly is indicated by APP? -  

My suspicion is, SWAP memory on the "Flash SSD" is being used by APP which seems to be a black hole for APP's counter - only stored information is counted but not if any of the SWAP is reliefed again.

Having said that, even while operating in the "red zone" through half of Normalization and all Integration stages, APP behaves normal, without slowing down up  to the very end of the process. It' just a bit loosing control on what's going on actually.

I am running MacOs 12.4 on a Mac Studio with M1 Max & 64 GB RAM

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin

APP now uses up to 98% of the available memory. I guess it determined here it would need a lot during the process, let me ask Mabula for specifics.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Hi Jochen,

The memory that APP is claiming is the 10082 MBs number out of a possible 57096 MBs. The RED numbers for your OS indicate that the OS as a whole is consuming a lot possibly to other tasks/applications on your operating system?

What is macOS reporting for memory usage for APP at such a moment with macOS system monitor ?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@jochen-scharmann)
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

the strange thing is, APP was the only major Applicatio running, additionally I had just minor surveilance Apps like  TG Pro (fan control), Cleaner Pro running idle. These, without APP do not use  RAM extensively. Even when APP was indicating 98% for APP and 100% for OS, the total amount used seemed to be just 31% as indicated by Cleaner Pro - which might translate into the RAM amount used by APP actually. Also, I recorded processing speeds and I couldn't see any hint of a slowdown which would be expected in RAM overload phases. I may provide You a high-level protocol of yesterday's stacking process, including temperatures, fan speeds and time stamps (I was just nerdy-curious 😉

Jochen

ReplyQuote
(@jochen-scharmann)
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

here is a snapshot while Normaliztion:

APP RAM is indicating 22 GB while Activity Monitor is pretty much in line with 21GB for APP. However, OS read is already ramped up to some 64 GB in APP and I think I know why: in Activity Monitor, I could see a high amount of Cache used (34 GB) and a lot of Compressed Memory 45 GB, but 0 Swap. You can also see the CPU cores loaded nicely in the graph, with the GPU cores idle around 10% Avg. or 25% burst load.

Hope this helps,

Jochen

Bildschirmfoto 2022 05 21 um 17.55.46

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Hi Jochen @jochen-scharmann,

So nothing is odd then. APP is reporting the same memory consumption as is macOS.

What macOS is doing besides that is on the operating system level and completely out of our control of course. If it is data for cache that consumes the memory on OS level, I would not be concerned, because it would be released if another application really needs it 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@jochen-scharmann)
Topic starter  

Thanks Mabula, I agree...

what puzzled me is that I never saw the "OS" RAM usage ramping up to 98% on my old Intel i7 Mac...

I am not sure if it helps to count in the cache size, as cache usage is just temporarily and would be reliefed as You said. Ideally I would expect APP to display just "real" RAM usage in total. If you watch red letters@100% it's hard to tell yourself it's nothing to worry about 😉

Thanks again for Your great support!

Jochen

ReplyQuote
Share: