Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

M1 Native Support

108 Posts
22 Users
63 Likes
(@rixon)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Is there any projected date for native support of the Apple M1 chip? Also, does APP gain any benefit from the M1 Max chip’s 32 core GPU? Or should I just stick with the 16 core GPU instead? Thanks! Rick

Blair Conner reacted
ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

There is no projected date, we first are going to move to Java 11 and we need to see when we can implement the M1 native Java as well. Having more cores is always better though as APP does use those very efficiently when available.

ReplyQuote
(@rixon)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod Thanks! I understand more CPU cores is useful. But what about more GPU cores? 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

That is a very good question to which I don't have an answer, it's very new technology at the moment so software is still catching up. I can imagine that if that simply means, faster GPU processing, then yes in the future it would benefit APP greatly. But GPU support is not yet available. The issue with the Mac system is that you can't upgrade internally, so that does mean you'd have to plan on something that is a bit unknown still. If you have the funds, I would choose more GPU cores, not only because of APP.

ReplyQuote
(@mikecmp)
Main Sequence Star

@vincent-mod

I saw this

https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/downloads/#jdk17-mac

Looks like the native version of version 17 is out, if I am reading that properly. Sounds like its time to upgrade to the newer version of Java for development 🙂

I actually have no idea what is involved there or where they are at with version 11 and M1. I just know I saw the specs for the M1max and am thinking how much faster it would be than my I7....... Even with the emulated intel code I would bet its faster.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Hi Michael, yes 17 is a nice LTS release as well, but something I can't decide to go for. 🙂 I already mentioned it to Mabula, but don't know if it's wise to jump from 8 straight to 17, it will require some testing for sure. From 11 to 17 is easier I believe.

The M1 is for sure faster than the i7 or even i9, when they compare it to last year's Macbook pro 16" i9. Must be a bit of a sour taste if you'd bought a maxed out 16" last year. 😉

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

Posted by: @vincent-mod

Must be a bit of a sour taste if you'd bought a maxed out 16" last year. 😉

Yeah I did 🙁

ReplyQuote
(@mikecmp)
Main Sequence Star

I have a pretty good spec i7 macbook from work, my home machine is a hackintosh, i7, but the macbookpro with the m1 max is tempting a mac mini with that i would probably get

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

@wvreeven Oeh, sorry for that.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

@mikecmp Yes, if I wasn't moving too often I would likely buy a mini as well. They are crazy fast now with these kind of chips. Not sure though if they'll add the pro and max to it.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@vincent-mod I'll admit that the 8 core 64 Gb MacBook is performing very well though 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

@wvreeven My I7 even as well. If it works for your application, it works. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@mikecmp)
Main Sequence Star

@vincent-mod

You're not wrong, the new macbooks are decent desktop replacement machines as is as powerful as they are getting. All those machines are more powerful than I need for work, it's the side stuff like APP that really pushes my machine. I imagine a M1 native version will just fly. 

They were comparing benchmarks of the M1max to a Xeon machine, so......

ReplyQuote
(@rixon)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Pixinsight results are coming in for the new M1 Max and Pro chips. 
This one, a Max chip with 64 gb memory and a RAM disk, is crazy faster than the other similar machine with 64 gb memory but without a RAM disk.

With RAM disk
https://pixinsight.com/benchmark/benchmark-report.php?sn=252V3WJN9X019EI7PZ5JWQ3KXG51RGD8

Without RAM disk
https://pixinsight.com/benchmark/benchmark-report.php?sn=MWMN86ZK03D5TKR10573KWPS78MN08VM

However, with APP, RAM disks aren't recommended. I wonder why?
Rick

ReplyQuote
(@vmsguy)
Brown Dwarf

Just received my M1 Max and APP runs well under rosetta2, all CPU processing no GPU.  I will be more than happy to help test any beta versions that target the Apple Silicon processors.  Being able to leverage both the CPU and GPU cores would be fantastic.

ReplyQuote
(@andrecajolais)
Main Sequence Star

Brent,

If I understand correctly, it would be more efficient to choose CPU  instead of OpenGL????

I should receive my MacBook Pro with M1 Pro 10 cores shortly... 

ReplyQuote
(@vmsguy)
Brown Dwarf

@andrecajolais Yes, I set it to CPU since I figured opengl wasn't supported.

I also saw that some developers using the M1 for android development, are using the Azul openjdk arm64 sdk with much success

and improved performance since nothing is running in rosetta2.  

Maybe another jdk option for APP?

ReplyQuote
(@andrecajolais)
Main Sequence Star

@vmsguy Many thanks Brent!

ReplyQuote
(@jochen-scharmann)
Neutron Star

Hi, did you make any progress in this regards meanwhile?

How about JDK 11 status?

How about the Open GL /Metal shift?

Any timeline/roadmap when native M1 support will become available with APP?

thanks,

jochen

Obs30 and Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @jochen-scharmann

Hi, did you make any progress in this regards meanwhile?

How about JDK 11 status?

How about the Open GL /Metal shift?

Any timeline/roadmap when native M1 support will become available with APP?

thanks,

jochen

Hi Jochen @jochen-scharmann,

We are moving our code from JDK 8 to JDK 17 right now ! And afterwards probably to GraalVM (natively maybe even).

The Metal/Vulkan shift will take a bit more time, but it will probably part of implementing the first pieces of code that will run on the GPU.

Native Apple M1 support will be there in the next release, our move to JDK 17 makes this possible, because JDK 17 is compiled now directly on M1 hardware.

Mabula

Paul Muller, Scott, Obs30 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jochen-scharmann)
Neutron Star

Thanks Mabula, sounds great!

Keeping fingers crossed...

jochen

ReplyQuote
(@andrecajolais)
Main Sequence Star

@mabula-admin This is good news Mabula! 

ReplyQuote
(@gmehal)
Main Sequence Star

@mabula-admin If you need beta testers for the New M1 Pro Max let me know.

ReplyQuote
(@williamshaw)
Main Sequence Star

@mabula-admin This is good news. Please would you update this thread when native M1 support appears, and also clarify if it remains pure CPU operation or can utilise GPU cores as well. Pure CPU is a good step for now, to be clear. 

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi William @williamshaw, @gmehal, @andrecajolais, @jochen-scharmann, @rixon, @mikecmp, @vmsguy,

We have APP running natively on M1 now in development, so we are getting to the point where I can almost say for certain that the next stable release will have an M1 native version as well.

We only have an issue still with image rendering on the M1 chip. OpenGL is also compiled on M1 but performs worse than the CPU renderer, so something is still off there. But all calculation are running natively on M1 now.

I need to check what happens regarding CPU and GPU cores on the M1 chip. I am not sure about that at the moment.

I will make a beta version available soon for anyone that wants to test it on M1 😉

Mabula

William Shaw reacted
ReplyQuote
(@vmsguy)
Brown Dwarf

@mabula-admin excellent!

I will be on the lookout for the beta and run multiple data sets (Canon Raw and tiff).

thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@andrecajolais)
Main Sequence Star

@mabula-admin Hello Mabula… Great news ! If I can be of any help in beta testing, I’ll be glad to…I could test it on both M1 (Mac mini) and M1 Pro (on new MacBook Pro)

This post was modified 2 years ago by AndreCajolais

ReplyQuote
(@gmehal)
Main Sequence Star

@mabula-admin Thats Great news Mabula.  Im in for the beta whenever your ready. My spec it a 64 gb ram M1 Max.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Thank you all, that is highly appreciated, simply check in on our forum regulary, once the M1 beta is there, you can find it at the top of the forum 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@turtlecat1000)
Red Giant

@mabula-admin That is welcome news! Do you have a rough idea of performance difference so we have more realistic expectations when the time comes?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: