Share:
Notifications
Clear all

M1 Native Support  

RSS

(@rixon)
White Dwarf Customer
October 20, 2021 18:55  

Is there any projected date for native support of the Apple M1 chip? Also, does APP gain any benefit from the M1 Max chip’s 32 core GPU? Or should I just stick with the 16 core GPU instead? Thanks! Rick

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
M1
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
October 21, 2021 11:15  

There is no projected date, we first are going to move to Java 11 and we need to see when we can implement the M1 native Java as well. Having more cores is always better though as APP does use those very efficiently when available.

ReplyQuote
(@rixon)
White Dwarf Customer
October 21, 2021 17:07  

@vincent-mod Thanks! I understand more CPU cores is useful. But what about more GPU cores? 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
October 21, 2021 17:11  

That is a very good question to which I don't have an answer, it's very new technology at the moment so software is still catching up. I can imagine that if that simply means, faster GPU processing, then yes in the future it would benefit APP greatly. But GPU support is not yet available. The issue with the Mac system is that you can't upgrade internally, so that does mean you'd have to plan on something that is a bit unknown still. If you have the funds, I would choose more GPU cores, not only because of APP.

ReplyQuote
(@mikecmp)
Main Sequence Star Customer
October 22, 2021 17:07  

@vincent-mod

I saw this

https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/downloads/#jdk17-mac

Looks like the native version of version 17 is out, if I am reading that properly. Sounds like its time to upgrade to the newer version of Java for development 🙂

I actually have no idea what is involved there or where they are at with version 11 and M1. I just know I saw the specs for the M1max and am thinking how much faster it would be than my I7....... Even with the emulated intel code I would bet its faster.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
October 22, 2021 17:18  

Hi Michael, yes 17 is a nice LTS release as well, but something I can't decide to go for. 🙂 I already mentioned it to Mabula, but don't know if it's wise to jump from 8 straight to 17, it will require some testing for sure. From 11 to 17 is easier I believe.

The M1 is for sure faster than the i7 or even i9, when they compare it to last year's Macbook pro 16" i9. Must be a bit of a sour taste if you'd bought a maxed out 16" last year. 😉

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar Admin
October 22, 2021 17:30  
Posted by: @vincent-mod

Must be a bit of a sour taste if you'd bought a maxed out 16" last year. 😉

Yeah I did 🙁

ReplyQuote
(@mikecmp)
October 22, 2021 17:59  

I have a pretty good spec i7 macbook from work, my home machine is a hackintosh, i7, but the macbookpro with the m1 max is tempting a mac mini with that i would probably get

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
October 22, 2021 18:18  

@wvreeven Oeh, sorry for that.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
October 22, 2021 18:19  

@mikecmp Yes, if I wasn't moving too often I would likely buy a mini as well. They are crazy fast now with these kind of chips. Not sure though if they'll add the pro and max to it.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar Admin
October 22, 2021 18:25  

@vincent-mod I'll admit that the 8 core 64 Gb MacBook is performing very well though 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
October 22, 2021 18:27  

@wvreeven My I7 even as well. If it works for your application, it works. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@mikecmp)
October 22, 2021 19:23  

@vincent-mod

You're not wrong, the new macbooks are decent desktop replacement machines as is as powerful as they are getting. All those machines are more powerful than I need for work, it's the side stuff like APP that really pushes my machine. I imagine a M1 native version will just fly. 

They were comparing benchmarks of the M1max to a Xeon machine, so......

ReplyQuote
(@rixon)
White Dwarf Customer
October 29, 2021 18:26  

Pixinsight results are coming in for the new M1 Max and Pro chips. 
This one, a Max chip with 64 gb memory and a RAM disk, is crazy faster than the other similar machine with 64 gb memory but without a RAM disk.

With RAM disk
https://pixinsight.com/benchmark/benchmark-report.php?sn=252V3WJN9X019EI7PZ5JWQ3KXG51RGD8

Without RAM disk
https://pixinsight.com/benchmark/benchmark-report.php?sn=MWMN86ZK03D5TKR10573KWPS78MN08VM

However, with APP, RAM disks aren't recommended. I wonder why?
Rick

ReplyQuote
(@vmsguy)
Hydrogen Atom Customer
October 30, 2021 01:41  

Just received my M1 Max and APP runs well under rosetta2, all CPU processing no GPU.  I will be more than happy to help test any beta versions that target the Apple Silicon processors.  Being able to leverage both the CPU and GPU cores would be fantastic.

ReplyQuote
(@andrecajolais)
White Dwarf Customer
November 16, 2021 15:52  

Brent,

If I understand correctly, it would be more efficient to choose CPU  instead of OpenGL????

I should receive my MacBook Pro with M1 Pro 10 cores shortly... 

ReplyQuote
(@vmsguy)
Hydrogen Atom Customer
November 16, 2021 18:15  

@andrecajolais Yes, I set it to CPU since I figured opengl wasn't supported.

I also saw that some developers using the M1 for android development, are using the Azul openjdk arm64 sdk with much success

and improved performance since nothing is running in rosetta2.  

Maybe another jdk option for APP?

ReplyQuote
(@andrecajolais)
White Dwarf Customer
November 16, 2021 18:18  

@vmsguy Many thanks Brent!

ReplyQuote
Share: