Cygnus Wall in SHO ...
 
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Cygnus Wall in SHO -- easiest processing EVER


(@rickwayne)
Main Sequence Star Customer
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 53
Topic starter  

I usually spend a ton of time fiddling with details and trying to compensate for various problems with my data acquisition. This time the problems were binary -- NOTHING worked for two hours, but once I started sequencing I got nothing but good data, and the guiding stayed right about 0.6".

The problem, as it turned out, was an inadequate AC adapter running my Raspberry Pi. When I unplugged the wall-wart and substituted my customary LiFePO4 battery, problems like rejecting my password (!), failing to plate-solve, and guiding that lunged all over the place magically went away.

Likewise, I have never had such simple processing, with APP or anything else. My workflow was:

  • Load lights and calibration frames
  • Go to tab 6 and click "Integrate"
  • Run the LP reduction tool on each of the resulting integrations
  • Load those into RGB combine, select Hubble 1 preset, and click "calculate"
  • Choose a stretch for the result, and save.

Admittedly, I did a bit of touch-up for color and contrast in specific areas using Photoshop, on a starnet++ starless image, and then denoised and sharpened with Topaz. But even that was way, way easier than it usually is.

One hour each of Ha, OIII, and SII. Full tech details at astrobin.

Cygnus2048

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
Joined: 5 years ago
Posts: 3117
 
Posted by: @rickwayne

I usually spend a ton of time fiddling with details and trying to compensate for various problems with my data acquisition. This time the problems were binary -- NOTHING worked for two hours, but once I started sequencing I got nothing but good data, and the guiding stayed right about 0.6".

The problem, as it turned out, was an inadequate AC adapter running my Raspberry Pi. When I unplugged the wall-wart and substituted my customary LiFePO4 battery, problems like rejecting my password (!), failing to plate-solve, and guiding that lunged all over the place magically went away.

Likewise, I have never had such simple processing, with APP or anything else. My workflow was:

  • Load lights and calibration frames
  • Go to tab 6 and click "Integrate"
  • Run the LP reduction tool on each of the resulting integrations
  • Load those into RGB combine, select Hubble 1 preset, and click "calculate"
  • Choose a stretch for the result, and save.

Admittedly, I did a bit of touch-up for color and contrast in specific areas using Photoshop, on a starnet++ starless image, and then denoised and sharpened with Topaz. But even that was way, way easier than it usually is.

One hour each of Ha, OIII, and SII. Full tech details at astrobin.

Cygnus2048

Excellent result @rickwayne 🙂

Thanks for sharing !


ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin
Joined: 5 years ago
Posts: 4727
 

Woop woop! Awesome. 🙂 Glad to read you like working with it and a great result!


ReplyQuote
(@rickwayne)
Main Sequence Star Customer
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 53
Topic starter  

Wow, thanks guys! Coming from you, that means a lot.


ReplyQuote
Share: