Share:
Notifications
Clear all

19 June 2021: Our upload server https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/ has been migrated successfully to our new office with higher upload and download speeds (nearly 10MByte/sec up/down ) ! We now have 1 general upload user called: upload with password: upload. The users upload1 - upload5 have been disabled.

31 May 2021: APP 1.083-beta2 has been released ! APP 1.083 stable will follow soon afterwards. It includes a completely new Star Reducer Tool, New File Saver Module, Improved Comet registration and much more, check the release notes here!

DOWNLOADS are available HERE!

user's manual  

Page 2 / 5
  RSS

(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin
January 20, 2020 21:49  

Fantastic advise Bob. As a senior software developer myself I wholeheartedly support your proposal. I’ll volunteer to beta-read as well and could even contribute to (a start of) a short RGB workflow as well. As a matter of fact, I could revise this workflow

https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/tutorials-workflows/newbie-lrgb-processing/#post-7367

perhaps.

Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@lazac)
Brown Dwarf Customer
January 21, 2020 08:48  

I'm also in the IT "business" and gladly take part in Beta test periods.

Joseph

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
January 22, 2020 19:42  

The full manual will be here pretty soon, as a moderator I have no insight in the exact timing unfortunately. I do know it's close to being finished. This will make APP one of the few astro-packages with a supplied, extensive manual I think, so when it's out, it'll be a plus. 🙂 I fully agree it would've been better to have a manual from the start, it's just not how things evolved. A quick tutorial is definitely a good idea, we're going to get rid of the old ones on the site and restructure that part. As Wouter already did and which I made a stickie, those kind of efforts are ofcourse highly appreciated.

ReplyQuote
(@1001ale1001)
Hydrogen Atom Customer
March 24, 2020 22:53  

when I load my lights in, and it asks to tick what channel I want it. should I just click luminance or all channels?

Best, 

Ale

ReplyQuote
(@dan-archer)
White Dwarf Customer
July 8, 2020 14:46  

@vincent-mod

Hi, just after an update on this elusive user manual.... is it arriving anytime soon ?

Thanks

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
July 10, 2020 10:52  

@dan-archer Unfortunately I have no insight into this myself, Mabula mentioned it’s close, but he has to balance his focus on APP and the manual and since the manual is very detailed, I guess that takes this much time. Maybe Mabula can chime in @mabula-admin

ReplyQuote
 Me
(@dancia12)
Hydrogen Atom Customer
November 17, 2020 17:42  

This is November and still no quick user guide, even if the extensive manual is not ready. This is getting ridiculous 

wschultz liked
ReplyQuote
(@annehouw)
Main Sequence Star Customer
November 17, 2020 18:26  

This is not a direct answer to your complaint, but it might help: Charles Bracken has written a quick guide on APP and you can find it here: https://digitalstars.wordpress.com/2020/09/19/an-astropixelprocessor-quick-start-guide/

Leonard Libbey, Randy Dunton, wschultz and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@randy-dunton)
Molecular Cloud Customer
November 30, 2020 01:04  

@annehouw

thanks for posting this quick guide, very helpful, better to be able to read a little compared to watching a bunch of videos.

ReplyQuote
(@snowman)
Molecular Cloud Customer
December 13, 2020 22:02  

I can recommend Charles Bracken's guide. I have been using APP for about 2 weeks after following a number of video tutorials here and elsewhere. Bracken's guide filled in a lot of gaps in my knowledge because he explains what all the sliders and buttons actually do unlike in some videos where some settings seem to be chosen because of prior knowledge. Kudos to Charles.

ReplyQuote
(@leolibbey)
Molecular Cloud Customer
January 22, 2021 05:03  

@annehouw Thanks for that link!  As a brand new user I have been struggling with the basics like file naming conventions and understanding the process.  Much easier to see the bigger picture than hovering over each individual box in the program trying to figure out if this is something I need to consider right now.

Admins: I absolutely love what the program can do.  Far better than anything else I've tried.  But you really need a user's manual, even if it's just a basic version for now.

ReplyQuote
(@meadeuser)
White Dwarf Customer
February 14, 2021 20:32  

I have had this software for a while now, and am quite upset that we keep being fobbed off that a manual for it is on the way, we pay a lot of money for this, and the fact there is no proper manual of any description is unacceptable TBH...C’mon guys, this is something that should take priority....

we should not have to rely on other people producing user guides, it’s a complicated piece of software and it needs a full manual users guide....

ReplyQuote
(@tgiann3)
White Dwarf Customer
February 16, 2021 02:02  
Posted by: @meadeuser

I have had this software for a while now, and am quite upset that we keep being fobbed off that a manual for it is on the way, we pay a lot of money for this, and the fact there is no proper manual of any description is unacceptable TBH...C’mon guys, this is something that should take priority....

we should not have to rely on other people producing user guides, it’s a complicated piece of software and it needs a full manual users guide....

I thought I was the only one feeling a bit overwhelmed by the lack of instructions for the complete beginner. I have used Lightroom a fair amount and I’m comfortable with that process. It took me awhile to even figure out that I could not load images directly from my CF card in APP, that I had to do that manually outside of the program. I would not say that is intuitive.

I do appreciate what is currently available from YouTube and other users, but all of this assumes a large base knowledge. 

A manual that starts from receiving the license all the way through the last feature is very necessary.

A suggestion: I’m sure this is a monumental task to create. I have seen scholarly textbooks where each chapter has a different author or set of authors and then those chapters are compiled and edited by the chief author/authors. This may be a more realistic approach if time is scarce. There is certainly an abundance of talent in the astrophotography community.

Thank you for listening 

meadeuser liked
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin
February 16, 2021 20:23  

Hi all,

I fully agree, a full documentation needs to be written and released and I have been working on this and I still am 😉

Together with releasing APP 1.083, I consider it the highest priority and I can only promise you that I am here and working for all of you to help you get the most out of your images !

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@meadeuser)
White Dwarf Customer
February 17, 2021 10:57  
Posted by: @mabula-admin

Hi all,

I fully agree, a full documentation needs to be written and released and I have been working on this and I still am 😉

Together with releasing APP 1.083, I consider it the highest priority and I can only promise you that I am here and working for all of you to help you get the most out of your images !

Mabula

No, releasing the next version is NOT high priority, what use is it when we can’t use what we already have, due to lack of instruction, I am sick of trawling the internet looking for videos or alike that someone has made to help me out....TBH I am stopping using APP and looking elsewhere because of this, £60 a year I have wasted.....😡😡

ReplyQuote
(@karolbe)
Molecular Cloud Customer
February 19, 2021 17:56  
Posted by: @meadeuser

No, releasing the next version is NOT high priority, what use is it when we can’t use what we already have, due to lack of instruction, I am sick of trawling the internet looking for videos or alike that someone has made to help me out....TBH I am stopping using APP and looking elsewhere because of this, £60 a year I have wasted.....😡😡

APP has a lot of tooltips, which de facto are manual/documentation inside of  the application, if you hover a mouse pointer over a button/dropdown etc it will display explanation what it does and how to use it. There is also a red "?" button on the right panel which explains all sliders with example images.

In my opinion APP (same as PixInsight) is this kind of software which has to be learned through trial and error, no manual will teach you how to process images because there is no single workflow for all types images. Personally I use tutorials on the internet plus videos on YT and it is enough for me. Also, great thing about APP is that it is NOT PixInsight and options are limited and default values make sense.

This is why I spent money on APP and I am far from regretting it! 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@meadeuser)
White Dwarf Customer
February 19, 2021 18:05  

@karolbe

i am very pleased for you.....👍🏼

ReplyQuote
(@jalabrecque)
Hydrogen Atom Customer
March 31, 2021 03:13  

@vincent-mod

Well over a year since your last update.  What is the outlook for a user manual?  I refuse to fork out $200 for software that has no supporting documents.

John L.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
March 31, 2021 09:10  

A few posts above yours, Mabula chimed in with his update on it. I have no set date unfortunately.

ReplyQuote
(@markabbott)
Molecular Cloud Customer
May 2, 2021 00:26  

I’m new to this hobby and am in the trial period of APP.  Of all the software packages I have tried I am getting the best results with APP but I’m uncomfortable purchasing this software without a manual.  

Hopefully this is resolved soon as I need to make a decision on what software I will be using.  

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5
Share: