2023-01-19: APP 2.0.0-beta13 has been released !
!!! Big performance increase due to optimizations in integration !!!
and upgraded development platform to GraalVM 22.3 based on openJDK19
We are very close now to releasing APP 2.0.0 stable with a complete printable manual...
Large mono files ...
APP is a great tool with specific strengths like creating a mosaic (LNC, MBB!!) AND applying lightpollution subtraction at once. The shortcomings are there and on a long to do list, worth waiting for, I believe. Meanwhile I tried to work around having to buy a new PC with more RAM, which APP needs for a lot of tasks, or just waiting:
I did some mosaics in mono using the Sony IMX455 (24x36 mm) mit 61 megapixel, which is quite demanding on anything.
I had the idea of doing a mosaic with HaLRGB mono of one of my favourite regions, Antares&co, ending up with 24 panels 2 hours exposure each, about 1000 exposures total. The result will be a more the 1000 megapixel picture and you can imagine what all the trouble can be processing it.
So, App did the HaLRGB combination of each panel and then I could create a mosaic with the 24 stacks of each panel, which was downscaled due to memory demands to 0.68, so a bit less than 50% resolution, still ok. But then I could not load it into the LP tool etc. Bummer. For meanwhile I have been having a real treat using it.
By trying a lot I finally decided to stack a mosaic of each mono filter registered all togther, resulting in 5 seperate >1 giagpixel mono mosaic, which took like 26 hours. Full resulotion and even LP worked!
The combination of course needs to be done with another software, still, but so far happy that I still have time to think about a new PC in this hard times of supplies.
the raw stack of full resolution h-alpha before LP processing
temporary result ready for further processing (pixinsight).
APP's LP tool has a tendency to produce "black holes", so putting boxes there helps ...
Very nice result and great you did find a solution for such huge mosaics. The new sensors definitely cause issues on systems as the resolution and memory consumed is so big. With improvements to APP we always try to make it more efficient and since these sensors are being used more often, they will get our focus as well.
So here is a crop from a150 megapixel downsclaed version, first result in HaLRGB, 48 hours and 24 panels. Even pixinsight crashes often so I reduced it to 150 mpx for processing. Further processing and versions of course pending but finally something to show
Will be great to see it and APP growing!
That's an amazing result, thanks for sharing!