Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2022-05-29: APP 2.0.0-beta2 has been released !

Release notes

Download links per platform:

windows 2.0.0-beta2

macOS x86_64 2.0.0-beta2

macOS arm64 M1 2.0.0-beta2

Linux DEB 2.0.0-beta2

Linux RPM 2.0.0-beta2

Gain 0 imaging with QHY268C

(@tsk1979)
Main Sequence Star Customer
Topic starter  

I normally shoot Gain 30, Offset 50 on Photographic DSO mode for everything.

I was wondering if I should try imaging with gain zero for brighter objects? What is the recommended offset for Gain zero with this camera?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin

Could you explain what photographic DSO mode is? Don't really know about that.

Gain 0 is fine and will give you the best dynamic range, but it also requires you to check well if the exposure lengths are good enough to get all data not being clipped. Offsets should not be changed, 50 seems a bit high maybe, but that will depend on what is normal for your camera. When you have that set right, just never change it.

ReplyQuote
(@anofeles)
White Dwarf Customer

I'm going to answer you but I guess that kind of questions about a specific feature of a specific camera has more appropriate forums....
I always use gain at 26 (I've made attempts with gain 0 and gain 56 and they didn't turn out any better). The exposure time will prevent you from burning or not the heart of the stars (I have done the Pleiades with that gain). I usually work with 180 seconds.
On the subject of offset. It depends on many factors. The best you can do and the less time it will take you is to make a bias (very short exposure, telescope covered) with an offset, for example of 30. Look at the histogram. Check that the left part of the peak is separated from the Y-axis. If not, increase the offset until you see it clearly separated. In my case, I use an offset of 80.
I hope you find it useful....

ReplyQuote
(@tsk1979)
Main Sequence Star Customer
Topic starter  

Thanks

I also use gain 26 and offset 50. Gain 26 is the unity gain of qhy 268C

ReplyQuote
Share: