Tool to clarify def...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Tool to clarify deficiencies in calibration files

5 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
 momo
(@mo-mo)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hello everyone.

I have been reading the forum and what I have noticed is that the calibration files often cause integration problems. I think this speaks to the importance of calibration files.
On the other hand, taking a calibration file is not an exciting experience. Perhaps many astrophotographers would prefer shooting nebula to shooting calibration files.

I am beginning to wish there was a tool for APP to test the quality of calibration files. Of course, even now the APP pops up a few notes about the calibration file.
Since it is displayed only after processing has begun, my suggestion is that the APP should be able to clearly indicate deficiencies in the calibration file that can be seen before processing.

Thanks for reading.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I think it's quite difficult to really know if calibration data is correct or not this likely depends a lot on the characteristics of a sensor and there are many of those arround. What APP does see is that if pixels turn black, that you likely have an issue, but it can only tell that after having used it on actual data.

ReplyQuote
 momo
(@mo-mo)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod 

Thank you Vincent,

I agree that it is difficult to judge exactly as you say. Still, I think it would save the user a lot of time and effort if the judgment could be made on basic factors (e.g., temperature, exposure time, resolution, etc.) by cross-checking with the light frame information.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes, it already does this basically. In the sense that it will not use the calibration data if it doesn't match regarding gain and such. It doesn't produce a big warning no, we may add that, but there is always a limit to what people want to see as warnings. 🙂 Maybe a setting for the future.

ReplyQuote
 momo
(@mo-mo)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod 

Perhaps the user is not aware that there is a problem with the calibration file until a warning is issued. It would make sense to eliminate the cause of the problem beforehand before proceeding with the APP process, rather than looking for the cause after the warning is issued.

If the tool were available, the user would recognize that failing that test does not meet the basic requirements. It would also seem to reduce the number of similar cause-related questions that are repeated on the forum.

While I would welcome a detailed description of the principles of calibration files in the manual that is being prepared, users would benefit if the tool freed them from visual verification.

This is not a new feature suggestion, but I still believe it makes sense for the APP to be widely used.

Thank you

ReplyQuote
Share: