Able to set/save de...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Able to set/save defaults, set better defaults and/or load project settings

15 Posts
8 Users
6 Likes
(@itarchitectkev)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I'd like for the ability to save and load settings - I usually run through loading and changing a number of same masters, change the relevant settings in the drop-downs to pretty much the same things again and again. I think saving/loading settings will also allow for a user to be able to better tune their pictures - by being able to load a good known setup and then tweak some settings and run through processing again.

As a short-term, there are quick wins in some drop downs to be better defaults. For example, the default Integration method is "Equal", and is openly described as "Dangerous method", whereas there is a "Quality" option that is recommended. Why isn't "Quality" the default then? 

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cheetah)
Red Giant

Along the same lines, I'd love to set "Force CFA" & select my camera's bayer pattern *once* and forget about it.

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@csmisi)
White Dwarf

Same here. I have some special settings that works best with my data and permits me the best post-processing and sometimes I forget them to apply. So it would be nice to save my settings.

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I don't know the roadmap as of yet, but sounds like a reasonable thing to have indeed.

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: itarchitectkev

I'd like for the ability to save and load settings - I usually run through loading and changing a number of same masters, change the relevant settings in the drop-downs to pretty much the same things again and again. I think saving/loading settings will also allow for a user to be able to better tune their pictures - by being able to load a good known setup and then tweak some settings and run through processing again.

Hi @itarchitectkev @cheetah and @csmisi ,

The ability to save/load the settings is on my ToDo list, so it will definitely come. I will try to have this implemented before the end of the year, but I can't make guarantees, I have some other more pressing features to implement first (support for Raw formats of Sony, Adobe, Fuji, Pentax and comet registration for instance).

As a short-term, there are quick wins in some drop downs to be better defaults. For example, the default Integration method is "Equal", and is openly described as "Dangerous method", whereas there is a "Quality" option that is recommended. Why isn't "Quality" the default then? 

Equal is not dangerous in my opinion. It's also not the best either. I do agree with you. I will set the quality weights as defaults for now since this works best or nearly best on almost all datasets.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@itarchitectkev)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Excellent. Looking forward to it.

I do think there is a consensus that having an ability to load/save settings and/or load save projects would be absolutely awesome. I save Master files to my processed image  area - kind of using the directory structure as the "project", but I'd love to be able to load up my project of a target from 3 nights ago, and carry on adding to it (note that this extends this request but merges to some degree with other asks).

Keep up the good work. These are just suggestions to an otherwise great and growing piece of software.

ReplyQuote
(@csmisi)
White Dwarf

Thank you very much. Looking forward to it. And I can understand that comet stacking is more important. it is more important for me as well 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@frank-hirsch)
White Dwarf

Just pulling up again this request... but any chance we might be able to save/load projects?

As I start collecting data of the same target in different sessions I would love to:

1. Start processing with session #1 and get the result

2. Open again session #1 with all lights, MB, MF, MD... and add data for session #2

A) This would be a huge time saver as well as some great improvement to better handle calibration data...?

B) Alternatively it may already help to write the settings to an INI file in the processing folder to load the settings when it is selected (again) as processing folder.

Any Chance this still may become a future improvement?

Best, Frank

ReplyQuote
(@cheetah)
Red Giant

Frank,

It's easier to save an unstretched final version of each session, and then combine those into a new image.  The 'mosaic' function provides a really good result this way.

It's quite easy and saves a LOT of hard drive space, not to mention processing time.  All those original lights and cal files can go.  For me, this is really helpful since I'm on a laptop that I can't upgrade.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Cheetah

ReplyQuote
(@frank-hirsch)
White Dwarf

It's easier to save an unstretched final version of each session, and then combine those into a new image.  The 'mosaic' function provides a really good result this way.

Thank's, I need to test this out!

I once read a post of the benefits of using "save normalized" from Mabula which I had in mind for a similar reason: to use those files later without having the need to reprocess them... But back then I understood those files need to be analyzed anyway to get the "quality" being able to sort good vs. bad lights. So I considered this not being a valid option.

Coming back to what you do with the mosaic function... you only stack "new" sessions and keep the stacked result without ANY adjustments such as background/star calibration and stretching? Once you have multiple such files you just load each stacking result as light WITHOUT any calibration data (as each stack is already calibrated and normalized) and use the mosaic function?

I agree this will save hours and lots of Bytes during processing - my last integration of Bodes (7 sessions) took ~600 GByte disk space :-/

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

The upcoming version will have the ability to skip steps if you already did them. 1.085 will focus on saving settings etc.

Frank Hirsch reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cheetah)
Red Giant

Personally, I do light pollution and CSC, then save the unstretched version.

Not sure how others do it, but I have assumed that those tools would work best on each session, since the conditions vary from night to night.  But I have not experimented to see if there is any difference.  Has anybody done this both ways and then compared?

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Brown Dwarf

Hi. Sorry to be so direct but is there any danger of this app not forcing me to change every single setting every single time I use it?

On what planet does anyone think this is ok?

How can it not have a save settings???  So basic!  The thing that really gripes is you’ve been saying it’s in work for about 3 years or more now.

And will the interface ever not look like an app from the 90’s?

This post was modified 2 years ago by Ginger

Stu reacted
ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@ginger There is nothing wrong with being direct but please tone down and don't be blunt. As Vincent stated above, version 1.085 will focus on saving settings.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@cheetah I am not sure if I understand your question but it doesn't seem to be related to the ability to save and load settings. If this indeed is true then please open a new thread and ask your question there.

ReplyQuote
Share: