Why do I need bias ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Why do I need bias to make master flats?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@bokemon)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hello,

I got a new telescope, so I made a bunch of flats.  Now I want to use APP to make a set of master flats for later use.  However, it complains that I need to add bias or dark flats to make these master frames.  Why?  I thought a master flat was that you just stack all the flats (for one filter and gain setting) together.  I understand why you need bias and other types when actual processing images, but why during the making of the master frames?  BTW, I do have a master darks and bias library ready to use when processing real images.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

So APP needs a bias signal to substract that signal from the flats. This is important for the algorithm to know what the actual backgound in the image is and to scale the rest properly.

ReplyQuote
Share: