Weird noise in inte...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please note our new Downloads page here

2023-01-19: APP 2.0.0-beta13 has been released !

!!! Big performance increase due to optimizations in integration !!!

and upgraded development platform to GraalVM 22.3 based on openJDK19

We are very close now to  releasing APP 2.0.0 stable with a complete printable manual...

Astro Pixel Processor Windows 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor macOS Intel 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor macOS Apple M Silicon 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor Linux DEB 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor Linux RPM 64-bit

Weird noise in integration

(@tailspin45)
Main Sequence Star Customer
Topic starter  
This is an unprocessed integration. Haven't seen the blotchy red noise and walking noise before. (Enlarge image to see what I mean)

Dark, Flat, and Dark Flat calibration. Kappa and LNC enabled, neutralize background and remove amp glow are not. 

8" ƒ/5 Newt, ASI294MC Pro (gain 120, temp -10º), L-eXtreme. Best 90% of 140 two-minute pre-screened subs.

Will add L-Pro and RGB subs next clear nights if this is salvageable.

Mac 13.0.1, APP 2B6

UPDATE: This is M33

M33 RGB session 1 St

I just finished processing NGC 2244 and it came out beautifully

20221125 NGC 2244

Compared meta data on the two integrations and only difference was NGC 2244 used RGB filter. For M33 I deselected Multi-channel/Filter processing.

Redoing M33 with Multi-channel/Filter processing selected. Will report results....still looks awful.

Uploaded a sub if you want to insect it.

This topic was modified 2 months ago 4 times by Tom Harnish

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Interesting, could you upload the data with the issue? If so, please send like 10 lights per channel and add 10 of each calibration data.

ReplyQuote
(@tailspin45)
Main Sequence Star Customer
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod Uploaded as requested to tailspin45_RGB_noise.

Accidentally trashed DarkFlat subs, so uploaded Master DarkFlat (also Master Dark and Master Flat which is what I used.)

Just tried calibration with only Dark, no improvement.  With no calibration it looks OK.

M33 no calib RGB crop St

This post was modified 2 months ago 4 times by Tom Harnish

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Thanks, I'll have a closer look tomorrow. Please allow for 2-3 days as we're very busy with preparing a new release. 😉

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I had a look at the data and I think there is an issue with either the lights or the darks. I see the following message in the console:

1015 - 2) CALIBRATE: Adaptive Data Pedestal raised to:  3.891E-02
1015 - 2) CALIBRATE: because 2665185 pixels are clipping to 0 without it!!!
1015 - 2) CALIBRATE: Adaptive Data Pedestal set at:  3.891E-02
1015 - 2) CALIBRATE: 9 pixels are clipping to 0.

This means that the substraction of the masterdark is causing that many pixels to turn black. It corrects this by raising the pedestal, but this already points to an issue in the workflow.

The masterflat is not applied correctly either with the masterdarkflat it seems. So I think there is something different with the used darks and darkflats maybe, is that the case? It looks like you need either longer exposures or find the issue with the calibration data.

This is the result without calibration data (heavily cropped and corrected) and what you saw as well:

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Customer

Adding a question to Vincent's excellent analysis: were all lights and calibration frames shot with the same software?

ReplyQuote
Share: