Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Star Sharpness

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@alanj49)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

I took a set of images last night and initially processed them in APP. During that I came across a problem in processing and something seemingly surprising post processing. I took the normal Lights, then Darks, Bias, Flats and Dark Flats and put them into processing. When I entered the Dark Flats I was told 'That this file type is not supported, or they are locked by another process' the files were Fits images and they were not in use by any other process. Is there a reason for this.

The second thing was that post processing the image as good, with bright colours and sharp stars. I then ran the whole process again through another software package, and to my surprise the stars showed star trails which was not the case in APP. I did not use the tools in AAP except to clean up the background, nothing else. Is there anything in standard APP processing that does a star analysis and cleans this sort of thing up.

I currently am running a trial of APP so the answer to this would be very helpful.

This topic was modified 3 years ago by Joseph Alan Jackson

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Those are some interesting results indeed. To me it sounds like you had the files open in another package and even though you closed it, there was still something blocking access to them. That's what I'm suspecting.

The second issue is also very strange, are you sure you loaded the exact same file in the other application? If so, did you properly save the stretched result in APP with the save button on the right?

ReplyQuote
(@alanj49)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod Many thanks for the reply, I haven't solved the problem with locked files. They were not open in anything else, I have rebooted the Mac a couple of time since and as of this morning it still would not take them. Does APP read the FITS header, could that be the problem?

Ok the other part, I have resolved that. It was to do with dithering, I had to reprocess the images but create drizzle data and reopen them as registered images. After I did that they were sharp

This post was modified 3 years ago by Joseph Alan Jackson

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Strange, yes APP reads the fits headers. Maybe the files are corrupt? Are you using an external drive or maybe a location in the filesystem that APP can't access? For external drivers, only SSD's are adviced as you can get weird results otherwise. Try moving the files to a location that you know is accessible.

ReplyQuote
(@alanj49)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

@vincent-modIt may be, which is why I asked if it reads the Fits headers, is that I mistakenly saved saved the files as Lights when I created them, and I renamed the files post that

ReplyQuote
Share: