Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Star blooming

11 Posts
2 Users
3 Likes
(@skysurvey)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hello

I have been using my QSI640 CCD camera and APP for years.

My camera doesn't produce any kind of "blooming" in the stars, but now, using APP V1.083.2 MacOS, I have an artifact in some of the stars that is similar to "blooming" (only 3 or 4 stars in the whole field, and they are not brilliant stars).

I am using the same parameters with APP since years ago, and this is the first time this happen to me. My individual frames doesn't have this artifact, it only appears when I use the integration with APP.

Do you know what can be happening?

I attach an example

Blooming

Regards

Jose

ReplyQuote
(@skysurvey)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I have tried with old versions of APP (V.1.082 and V.1.079) and the star blooming also appears, so it is not related to the version of APP.

This is incredible, it is the first time that happens to me. I have already seen all my individual frames and the blooming is not there, I have no idea about what is happening.

And it only appears with 3 or 4 stars, look at my attached files: 

Blooming 2
Blooming 3

This post was modified 2 years ago by Jose Antonio Chimeno Sanz

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Dear Jose,

That is a strange artefact indeed. It looks to me like something of a "glitch" with the sensor, blooming would be something all around the star. However, if it's not in the subs, then that is strange as well. Could you upload like 10 lights and your master calibration frames to our server for analysis?

ReplyQuote
(@skysurvey)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

First of all, thank you very much for your help.

I have already uploaded my masters, lights and the integration result in the folder "skysurvey-starBloomArtefact"

Definitely these artifacts are not a "glitch" of my CCD camera, because as I have already said, they are not in the individual frames, but what is more, I have processed another set of lights from the same night (29th-30th January 2022_Leo Triplet) and the result is completely clean, there are not any artifacts in that integration. This only happen with my Cone nebula (29th-30th January 2022_Cone nebula).

Looking forward to hearing from you

Regards

Jose 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes indeed, like I said, it's how it looks like. But if it's not in the subs, that seems unlikely. I'll have a look at the data, please allow for up to a day.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Or just for up to an hour. 😉 I analyzed the data and it's caused by the BPM! This is really odd and I've notified Mabula immediately as, to my knowledge, a BPM should never have a negative influence on data. Thanks a lot for sharing! If you leave out the creation of the BPM it should work.

ReplyQuote
(@skysurvey)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Yeeeees, you are right, it's the BPM, in fact if you change the BPM parameters, the size of the artifacts also changes.

Incredible, it's the first time I see this, and I have processed a lot of photos.

If you find out something else about this, let me know, please

Regards

Jose

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Jose Antonio Chimeno Sanz

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Will do for sure!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

You might get rid of it changing the automatic parameters with manual ones, like I think you already tried. Still, first time I've seen it. 😉

ReplyQuote
(@skysurvey)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

In the end I have processed my Cone nebula photo changing my usual BPM parameters (hot pixels kappa=4.0), and I haven't had any problem.

Anyway it is really strange because it is the only time I have had problems using the BPM in APP.

Here you have my result; I haven't touched the stars:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jachimeno/51964411145/in/dateposted-public/

Regards

Jose

This post was modified 2 years ago 5 times by Jose Antonio Chimeno Sanz

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Great and thanks for letting us know, we have the data and Mabula will look at it as to why it did that. Might be that we can improve the algorithm there, but it is indeed rare.

ReplyQuote
Share: