Stacked images are ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Stacked images are noisy

8 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@vsathyan)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi, 

I am trying to use APP for my astro stacking and processing. I have taken M81 60Sx91 and stacked it together. The resulting image is very noisy. I tried light pollution and background calibration etc. Nothing seem to work. I am not sure what is wrong. Any thing you can identify from this below stacked image, please let me know.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19_iIuVXCs6akCze1HOXvVWF3KLsWBgF8/view?usp=sharing

Thanks,

Sathya

This topic was modified 3 years ago by Sathya Venkat

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Your exposure time is 60 seconds? That may be one of the reasons as each image will then likely be close to the readout-noise levels of your camera. Do you use calibration data like darks and bias?

ReplyQuote
(@vsathyan)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

Yes. The exposure is 60s. I also use calibration frames. I have 16 darks, 16 flats and 16 darkflats.  These were taken using ASI533 and WO GT 81 IV, GEM45. I used NiNa to capture. 

By the way, I am in Bortle 9 area and I have not used any filters. 

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by Sathya Venkat

ReplyQuote
(@vsathyan)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  
Posted by: @vsathyan

@vincent-mod

Yes. The exposure is 60s. I also use calibration frames. I have 16 darks, 16 flats and 16 darkflats.  These were taken using ASI533 and WO GT 81 IV, GEM45. I used NiNa to capture. 

By the way, I am in Bortle 9 area and I have not used any filters. 

@Vincent-mod Any pointes to know what could be wrong? 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes so the short exposure time, combined with light pollution and no filter will not help to get clean images unfortunately. I would advise to look into using a good filter and then going for a bit higher exposure times.

ReplyQuote
(@vsathyan)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

I took around 400+ images each 60S with IDAS D3 filter.  I still see the images are noisy. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lz4aFgblrdRIK7vkU2eM5ObFTqQDQp0B/view?usp=sharing

Here is the original fit image after stacking in app https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XyS9syqWMYcLgsDrP2W9vSuR5ejr4a1E/view?usp=sharing

What am i doing wrong?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

You're exposing a bit too short as I mentioned above, this means you're close to the noise floor of the sensor and that will give noisier results. For this target I would go for at least something like 3 min per sub, longer if possible. I would also add more calibration data, minimum of 40 darks, 60 bias. Also, the light pollution in your area seems high and even with that filter is still quite strong, that doesn't help either.

Noise reduction via software is something for a future version of APP, getting the noise down with a better data gathering method is always better.

That said, I took your first fits file and applied light removal correction and I think that's about the noise level I would expect for 60s.

Screenshot 2021 04 20 093305

ReplyQuote
(@vsathyan)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod Thanks. As of now, I don't have guiding so anything beyond 60sec, the stars start to trail.  I'll get the guide scope setup and try again.  I guess, this filter is no use so I would return it. 

Thank you very much. 

ReplyQuote
Share: