Orientation of Fits...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Orientation of Fits files

6 Posts
2 Users
3 Likes
(@chris_16)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hi,

I use NINA for aquisition and from around the beginning of april, I suffer from a change in bayer pattern processing (I use a ZWO ASI1600MCC). I don't know, if the problem is inside NINA (which the devs refuse) or in APP. I always processed my files with the GRBG pattern (which is the ZWO definition), but now, I have to switch APP to GBRG, which is the upside down version. Was there a recent change of handling FITS files? This effect drives me nuts.
The NINA devs say, FITS doesn't define very well, what orientation the picture has. XISF, which is also supported by NINA has some better definition, but APP does not support XISF. Maybe, this could be a feature for future versions?

Thanks for your answer in advance!

Cheers,

Chris

astrogee reacted
ReplyQuote
(@chris_16)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hi,

well, Cuiv, one of the devs of NINA just pointed me to the solution. It's SharpCap in which I set the flip of the image. This setting was saved in the background by the ZWO driver and NINA picked it up without any knowledge and without any chance to set it back. Because of this I lost two months of searching for the error and getting grey hair...

In the lastest BETA010 NINA will reset any flip setting in the ZWO driver.

Anyway, it would be nice, if APP would support XSIF in future. So far, only PI use it, but this isn't true anymore, NINA also can save in XISF 🙂

Clear Skies!

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Fits is pretty well defined, but not always used in a good way by software. It's a format used everywhere in the astronomical science community. xifs may have some things that are positive, but we didn't see a very good reason to change that as fits can contain all the information you need. We may change that when it's used more widely, adoption seems to be very low after some years.

ReplyQuote
(@chris_16)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

IC, well of course it is up to the APP-dev(s). But from (my) user's point of view, I guess, it will be more and more used. At least, I see NINA growing very fast. Evolution is working... 😎 

Cheers and CS,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Oh definitely, when it's picked up and it becomes something quite a few users want it will get supported I think. 🙂 It's all a matter of priorities for Mabula. Hopefully I can help out in the near future.

chris_16 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I see Nina is opensource, very nice. I saw the latest code change to reset the flip status. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: