Mosaic Processing N...

Share:

APP BETA Release 1.075.beta4 is available for download now !

Especially recommended for iTelescope.net members for more compatibility with iTelescope.net calibrated data.

Release notes 1.075.beta 4 can be found here

Astro Pixel Processor and iTelescope.net celebrate a new Partnership! All current and new Astro Pixel Processor Owner's & Renter's license owners will receive a coupon code to get Triple Points at iTelescope.net

To celebrate the partnership with iTelescope.net, you can now buy an Owner's or Renter's license with 15% discount. In addition, you will receive a coupon code to get triple points at iTelescope.net in your order confirmation email.

Our celebration 15% discount action end tomorrow on the evening of Sunday the 15th of September !

More information here

Mosaic Processing Not Working  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

(@vincent-mod)
Galaxy Moderator
June 5, 2019 23:30  

Downloading them now, will have a look at them tomorrow (camp-site wifi 😉 ). Thanks.

clawson liked
ReplyQuote
(@clawson)
White Dwarf Customer
June 5, 2019 23:51  

I am interested in the settings you used above though, as it looks far better than what I've been getting. Did you document what you set in steps 4,5,6 for that result by chance?

ReplyQuote
(@clawson)
White Dwarf Customer
June 6, 2019 03:19  

To one of the earlier questions on my setup - I think this was everything you requested

- focal length is 400mm

- full details on the camera I'm using is here - https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/product/asi1600mc-cool  

Camera technical details

Sensor: 4/3″ CMOS
Diagonal: 21.9mm
Resolution: 16Mega Pixels 4656×3520
Pixel Size: 3.8µm
Bayer Pattern: GRBG
Max FPS at full resolution :23FPS
Shutter: Rolling shutter
Exposure Range: 32µs-2000s
Read Noise: 1.2e @30db gain
QE peak: 60%
Full well: 20ke
ADC:12bit

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Galaxy Moderator
June 6, 2019 11:32  

Tab 4:

Scale start of 4, scale stop of 12, distortion margin of 3.

Tab 5:

Advanced mode

Tab 6:

5% MBB, 1st degree LNC with 4 iterations.

Not saying these settings are the best, I used quite large numbers for distortion etc, so maybe you can set those back, but that's a bit trial-and-error. I also worked on the panels a bit, before doing the combination. So I removed light pollution (which isn't really LP in your data, but it still helps) and calibrated the colors.

This post was modified 4 months ago 2 times by Vincent Groenewold - Moderator

ReplyQuote
(@clawson)
White Dwarf Customer
June 10, 2019 01:13  

Screen Shot 2019 06 10 at 9.08.07 am

I've gone back using these settings to try and re-process this mosaic. So all subs, including calibration frames, from the beginning, to try and get a basic result. It has been running the registration for well over a day now and it is still only at 38%, just in the registration phase. I've given APP (v1.074.1) 12gig of RAM and all four core's and the machine isn't running much else. It has done this previously where I left it running for 3+days during registration and it still did not complete this phase. 

Is it typical for APP to take this long during a mosaic. 

This post was modified 3 months ago by clawson

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Galaxy Moderator
June 11, 2019 09:54  

With that many frames it might take a long time yes (based on the settings as well), that's why Mabula is focusing on getting GPU acceleration to work. However, you could also take parts of these files and integrate those, basically chopping it up in batches of 40 for instance and then integrate those together into a panel. Then you can mosaic together the main panels, it might be faster. I would process each sub-integration by trying to clean it up a bit as well (so removing gradients and such).

This post was modified 3 months ago by Vincent Groenewold - Moderator

ReplyQuote
(@clawson)
White Dwarf Customer
June 25, 2019 06:55  

I was travelling for work so I decided to start a re-preocess of the 150 subs. After about ~9 days of it running continuously, it never even finished the registration stage. To me, six panels of only 150 subs shouldn't take this long to process.

I'm still no closer to getting a basic result for mosaic processing with APP. 

ReplyQuote
(@clawson)
White Dwarf Customer
June 25, 2019 06:55  

I was travelling for work so I decided to start a re-preocess of the 150 subs. After about ~9 days of it running continuously, it never even finished the registration stage. To me, six panels of only 150 subs shouldn't take this long to process.

I'm still no closer to getting a basic result for mosaic processing with APP. 

ReplyQuote
(@clawson)
White Dwarf Customer
June 25, 2019 08:07  

Screen Shot 2019 06 25 at 4.01.45 pm

I just tried to process just the six panels that were processed individually and I get the rainbow (see the attached screen shot)

Tab 4:

scale start 4, stop 12, distortion market 0.03, registration mode: mosaic

Tab 5:

mode: advanced

Tab 6:

weights: equal; integrate: average; mode: full; 1st degree LNC, four iterations, MBB at 5%. no outlier rejection. 

I have no idea why this isn't even producing even a basic result at this point in time. 

ReplyQuote
(@dav78)
Main Sequence Star Customer
June 25, 2019 09:19  

I Craig,

Sorry, I was quite busy lately, you know, work, family stuff with young children 😉 

Could you please try this : before loading your mosaic, click the openGL button and then show us the result (the button should be in orange and not green). I had the same issue (macbook air from 2016), and still has it : if the mosaic is more than 3 or 4 panels, I have a rainbow displayed.

@mabula-admin advised me to click the OpenGL button, and then the mosaic was properly displayed, but with a much slower APP.

ReplyQuote
(@clawson)
White Dwarf Customer
June 27, 2019 00:49  

The OpenGL button does effect displaying the finished Mosaic. Thank you for that tip!!! One further question on the "OpenGL", could I leave it one while processing for better performance with steps 3-6, and then just turn it off to display the images?  Or should I just disable it all the time because of the potential rainbow issue?

I have had some success overnight too (see the attached image). As a side note, it seems that processing all the subs, from all panels, is not practical, even if you have a relatively small number like I had for this with 150 across six panels. I left it run for +2weeks and it never even finished step 4, let alone getting through to final integration. So processing a panel at a time and then doing the combine last seems to be the way to do this. Perhaps people get different results on Windows/Linux, but on my iMac with multi-cores and 12+gig of RAM assigned it doesn't seem practically feasible.

I'll post screen shots of my settings in steps 4-6 in a followup post.

I'm pretty happy with this final image even though I'm sure there are many tweaks / changes that could be made, but at least I've got an OK result. 

Thanks for you help folks, I really appreciate it. 

In the attached the blending was OK and after a crop I was able to do some basic steps from step 9, remove LP, calibrate background/stars and did two simple adjustments in HSL for background and bumped red up just a little bit. 

Screen Shot 2019 06 27 at 8.06.43 am

(@clawson)
White Dwarf Customer
June 27, 2019 06:27  

Step 6 Integrate
Step 5 Normalise
Step 4 Register
Step 3 Analyse Stars

Here are the settings that I got, many are from earlier posts in this thread, but these seemed to get a base OK result. Hope this helps others. 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Galaxy Moderator
June 27, 2019 20:43  

Looking good! Yes, when doing mosaics I think it's better to first create the panels and then do the mosaic, it's how I do it all the time as well and just try to correct each panel as good as possible too.

clawson liked
ReplyQuote
(@dav78)
Main Sequence Star Customer
June 27, 2019 23:34  

Glad to see that the OpenGL thing has worked !

I advised you to do that in my first post, but maybe I wasn't clear enough (sorry for my english) 😉 

For making mosaic, I also create each panel (crop for edges cleaning, gradient and light pollution removal), then I create the mosaic. My settings are not far from yours.

And I have to unable the openGL to display the mosaic and process it.

clawson liked
ReplyQuote
(@clawson)
White Dwarf Customer
July 2, 2019 02:46  

One quick question please. On top of the remove light pollution tool (which is all kinds of amazing), you say "remove gradient" do you also mean using the calibrate background and calibrate stars features of APP to do that? 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Galaxy Moderator
July 4, 2019 18:21  

The LP tool is basically a gradient removal tool. I guess he hints to the same process.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: