Mosaic Banding Issu...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] Mosaic Banding Issue in 2.0.0-beta6

6 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
(@david)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

There seems to be a banding issue, or perhaps I am missing a setting, in 2.0.0-beta6 that was not present in 1.083 when processing mosaics.

bandng issue

Using the exact same FITS files and the exact same settings, the beta version presents banding in the final image.

Using the previous version, the image is perfectly smooth and has no defects.

Is there a setting I am missing to prevent this?

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi David @david,

Thank you very much for reporting this, another user also see this problem, see something is off indeed. Can you share the data on which this occurs so I can test it a.s.a.p. ?

Which settings are you using in 5)Normalize, and which settings for LNC and MBB?

Please upload it here:

https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/

username: upload

password: upload

Please make a folder with your name and issue description like: David-square-artefactand upload your data there and let me know once done so I can test quickly.

Mabula

This post was modified 1 year ago by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@david)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin 

The files are in david-schneider-square-artifact

5) Normalize is: mode regular, method multiply-scale, scale BWMV, neutralize background is checked, scale is 1.0, interpolation method is lanczos-3, apply registration to frames is checked

LNC is LNC Degree: off, LNC iterations: 3

MBB is 25%

I hope this helps!

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi David @david,

I think that there is no problem here. I get the same results with the old and stable 1.083 versus 2.0.0-beta6 with the same settings in normalization + MBB + LNC.

If I process the mosaic with regular normalization and MBB 10% and LNC 2nd degree I get this when combining the data with RGBSHO in the RGB Combine Tool:

FIXED LNC2ndDegree

So those banding artefacts are gone then.

Enabling LNC will correct the normalization issue that you see in the mosaic overlap areas. You have the bright nebula in the overlap area and this makes things difficult for normalization as it is in APP. LNC is there to further improve things 🙂

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@david)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hello, @mabula-admin !

Thank you for the investigation, and yes, this completely solves the banding!

Thank you again!

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

You are most welcome David @david !

ReplyQuote
Share: