Error Saving Images...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] Error Saving Images in 2.0.0-beta6 (Mac OS M1)

14 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@david)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I cannot successfully save a usable image from the Tools menu in Version 2.0.0-beta6, using MacOS arm64 M1.

When saving as a TIFF or JPG, the image saves, but is almost pure black and there are few details in the image. Attached is a screen shot from the preview window and the TIFF.

image in previewer
NGC 2175 RGB 1

When saving as a PNG, I receive the below.

Encountered error in module:
PNGImageSaver

Error message:
java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "String.length()" because "" is null

Cause:
Cannot invoke "String.length()" because "" is null
java.desktop/javax.imageio.stream.ImageOutputStreamImpl.writeBytes(Unknown Source)
java.desktop/com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageWriter.write_tEXt(Unknown Source)
java.desktop/com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageWriter.write(Unknown Source)
qv.a(Unknown Source)

edit by Mabula: solved and fixed in 2.0.0-beta7

This topic was modified 1 year ago by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

Posted by: @david

When saving as a TIFF or JPG, the image saves, but is almost pure black and there are few details in the image.

Please make sure that the "stretch" option is enabled.

When saving as a PNG, I receive the below.

Thanks for reporting this. I'll pass it on to Mabula.

Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@david)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@wvreeven Thank you for the suggestion. However, the Stretch option is indeed enabled.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@david I just tested saving to JPG and to PNG in beta6 on my Intel MacBook with macOS Ventura and APP 2.0.0-beta6 and both work as advocated. The images end up stretched and saving works fine without any error. What version of macOS are you on? Did you install the M1 version of APP 2.0.0-beta6?

ReplyQuote
(@david)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@wvreeven Thank you for the follow up.

I am on Monterey 12.6, and am using the M1 version.

In experimenting, I switched the openGL4 mode to CPU, and the image saved as expected! Oddly, when I switched from CPU to openGL4, the image also saves and now continuously saves. Perhaps the issue was somehow related to my previous version?

In any event, the image now saves as expected, although the PNG issue persists.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi David @david,

I have added this to our ToDo list to investigate saving to PNG with our latest version especially on macOS 😉

Do I understand correctly now, that saving to TIFF is working, but PNG always gives that error in your case?

The switch between OpenGL and the CPU image viewer will indicate a probleem with showing the data using OpenGL, so I would suggest to make sure that you have the latest graphical drivers from the manufacturer of your graphic chip installed to be sure that that is not the issue.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@david)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin 

Yes, saving is working, but previously it was not.

I was using 1.0.83 which worked perfectly. I installed Beta 2.0.0-6 and found I could no longer save images. I went back to 1.0.83 and images saved. While IN 1.0.083 I toggled between openGL4 and CPU. Images saved. I went back to 2.0.0-beta6 and now the images save. Perhaps an old setting was somehow incorrect which is now resolved?

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi David,

Just to follow-up, has everything been working find with PNG saving now? I tested it and all seems to work without any issue with PNG saving on macOS M1 and the other platforms.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@david)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hello!

Well, it WAS working, and now today it is not, with the attached error. Previously, after receiving this error, it went away and the files saved in PNG.

Now, today the error is back and only an empty PNG is created. Saving as a TIFF continues to work perfectly.

app error

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi David,

Okay, then I think the error is somewhere in your specific workflow.. at what tool or moment does this occur? So I need to know exactly at what moment in processing you try to save to PNG.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@david)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

The shortest possible path to make this happen is:

Open APP.

Go to Tools. 

Add a red, green and blue channel and formula RGB 1. Click (re) calculate. Click the Save button on the right side of the screen. Fill out the dialog box as shown. Click OK.

The error occurs.

Dialog Box

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi David,

Ah, thank you very much, I can duplicate the issue and will fix it immediately 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

The shortest possible path to make this happen is:

Open APP.

Go to Tools. 

Add a red, green and blue channel and formula RGB 1. Click (re) calculate. Click the Save button on the right side of the screen. Fill out the dialog box as shown. Click OK.

The error occurs.

Dialog Box

Hi @david,

Thank you very much for reporting this issue. It is solved now and thus it will be fixed in the next release 2.0.0-beta7 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@david)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin 

Thank for you the fix!

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: